MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

ERADICATE the spammers

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

ERADICATE the spammers

Postby Azog » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:41 am

Eradicate the spammers: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=48773

Admin cmon just DELETE these fuckheads and their shit spam posts god knows there is free classifieds right on the tab on the left just obliterate their posts names if I was forum admin I would see that on my message board and be like fuck that guy and just delete their entire account and block their IP address, I humbly suggest.

Edit: thx
Azog

Re: ERADICATE the spammers

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Let me guess: You're in handcuffs (or more likely, thumbcuffs), so you're typing this with your porcine nose.

Good work, though, on having several upper case letters and two distinct punctuation marks. So then ... how are we to know that you are not a spammer?

Azog wrote:Eradicate the spammers: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=48773

Admin cmon just DELETE these fuckheads and their shit spam posts god knows there is free classifieds right on the tab on the left just obliterate their posts names if I was forum admin I would see that on my message board and be like fuck that guy and just delete their entire account and block their IP address, I humbly suggest.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Relax, son.

Mr. Joyce will trim the spams after he milks Bessie and cleans the drowned possums outa the cement pond.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Azog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 pm

fennel wrote:Let me guess: You're in handcuffs (or more likely, thumbcuffs), so you're typing this with your porcine nose.

Good work, though, on having several upper case letters and two distinct punctuation marks. So then ... how are we to know that you are not a spammer?

Azog wrote:Eradicate the spammers: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=48773

Who asked you? Don't be a dick. Alas that they don't have an HTML code to illustrate your snobbery, nor any to depict the way your head looks when its pried ever so slowly but fully and completely up your own rancid ass, but if there were any at hand the upper case letters of your ass-hattery would be bold and plain for all to see.
Azog

Postby SlideSF » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:36 am

Why is there no option to flag obvious spam like there is on other fora? Or am I missing something?
SlideSF

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:23 am

SlideSF wrote:Why is there no option to flag obvious spam like there is on other fora? Or am I missing something?

You're missing the triangle button with the exclamation mark to the left of the Quote button.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlideSF » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Thank you!
SlideSF

Postby gozer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:04 am

may i ask what the thread in question was about before it was removed?

the reason i am curious is that there is real spam, which is unsolicited commercial e-mail and its usenet and bulletin board equivalent, and then posts which irritate someone because of content and/or past encounters. i am assuming the killed thread is the former and accuse no one posting to this thread of the latter, but i am still curious. the latter is a manifestation of something similar to trollophobia, which is not a good thing and speaks volumes about the relative level of sophistication, mental state, and maturity of the accuser. folks that insecure and/or paranoid should not be posting to public boards, for the sake of their own health and the common good of the posters in the location in question.

as for real spam bot generated in particular, it should be possible to write code into the software to sideline and require moderator approval for posts which have certain spam characteristics based on character strings in the post, number of similar posts in a given time period from a single account (with a "white list" or "do not disturb list" for real people who simply post at high volume), or deemed to be functionally similar by comparison of the text, including line count and the count, range, maximum, minimum, mean, median, sum, standard deviation, covariance, frequency distribution, variance, kurtosis and skewness of the ascii/ansi/ebcidc/whatever values of the characters in the post. having done this with e-mail and newsgroups, i recommend perl for this task. php is not bad either, of course being the language in which nearly all of the programme is written. anything that seems be be slowing down the script can be made into an binary executable with c, fortran, or assembly language --or the perl compiler.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com