MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Ban or no?

Ban
53%
Don't ban
47%

Total votes : 43

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby juanton » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:31 am

What's the saying?

"The last person to know someone is acting like an asshole is the asshole them self."
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks for banning. After a short while, I just stopped ever responding to him and hoped others would do the same. It was entertaining for awhile, but was obviously wearing thin and I think the action taken was appropriate.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm still hoping to find a mod for phpBB that allows you to keep a troll's posts invisible to everyone but himself. It's called "selective invisibility" and I've read about other boards/sites that have made it work.

If anybody knows anything about it, shoot me an email, 'kay?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 pm

I voted no ban. It really is not that hard to ignore.
One man's (gal's) garbage...
I suppose it is your ball and you can choose to do what you like, but without contributors=no TDPF.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 am

john_titor wrote:I voted no ban. It really is not that hard to ignore.
One man's (gal's) garbage...
I suppose it is your ball and you can choose to do what you like, but without contributors=no TDPF.

TDPF + contributors like AV = madison.com

There's a reason I avoid madison.com. It's a garbage dump.

Speaking for myself, I'm all in favor of TDPF branding itself as a place where the unserious are subjected to well-deserved scorn. And I'll keep cheerfully bringing the scorn to those who deserve it.

Scorn - it's what's for dinner.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Marvell wrote: a place where the unserious are subjected to well-deserved scorn.

The rules of the forum are that posters aren't supposed to be spewing venom, period. Doesn't say anything about two classes of posters.

You've presented a false choice: Either good people like yourself will act as vigilante cops, meting out justice to the "unserious" (and perhaps other categories that the good people shall determine), or the alternative is a crappy forum with a troll behind every bush, like at madison.com.

There are a couple problems with your rough justice system. Repetitive responses to trolls are more annoying than the trolls themselves. And unless human nature has changed and I didn't notice it, like-minded people tend to judge people who are different more harshly.

The truth is that people enjoy delivering scorn, as your joyful post suggests. Vigilantes don't want to let go of their hobby.

There's a better way without the painful side-effects: Just let the moderator do the heavy lifting. If some poster is behaving like an asshole in your view, by all means speak up. But then drop it and ignore them.

BTW, Madison.com isn't so terrible. They seem to have a much larger participant base, few regulars, so naturally it will have more angry drive-by posters.. Its not a place to hang-out, but it serves a purpose.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't post at Madison.com anymore (got banned for sticking up for someone who got banned after calling out another poster on her BS), but I don't like seeing it get slammed here as some 2nd rate forum.

There is a core group of good posters over there that have made it their own just like some have here. It's not as political as TDPF but do they have good discussions.

Perhaps most telling of all: a regular poster over there died and his son created an account just to tell everyone what happened. He asked people to share their favorite story of arguing with his dad.

Get past the noise and Madison.com is A-OK.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Marvell wrote: a place where the unserious are subjected to well-deserved scorn.

You've presented a false choice: Either good people like yourself will act as vigilante cops, meting out justice to the "unserious" (and perhaps other categories that the good people shall determine), or the alternative is a crappy forum with a troll behind every bush, like at madison.com.

That's not even remotely what I believe.

I don't claim to be a good person. I do claim to be a good writer.

AV may or may not be a good person (I speak of him in the present tense because even someone as palpably unhinged as AV is probably not so far gone as to off himself over being banned from an on-line forum); for the purpose of this discussion, it really doesn't matter. But what I can say - without reservation - is that he bored the living fuck out of me, and his 'arguments' would have been laughable if they weren't so incredibly tedious.

Saying that he's got 'just as much right to post' as I do is to mistake your First Amendment right to protected private speach from Isthmus Publications completely understandable desire to support a high-quality product, and my own purely selfish desire to not have to spend any additional effort (metaphorically speaking) avoiding some clown standing in the middle of my favorite bar and screaming at the top of his lungs.

Yes, I could expend the effort. But why? Instead, I can just poke the screaming clown until he implodes and is carted off to the nut bin.

Which is, more or less, exactly what happened. And I'm good with that.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Marvell wrote: I do is to mistake your First Amendment right to protected private speach from Isthmus Publications completely understandable desire to support a high-quality product

your ganging-up on AV did not make for a "high quality product." It just made an unnecesarry shit storm, although probably entertaining for the players.

Marvell wrote: and my own purely selfish desire to not have to spend any additional effort (metaphorically speaking) avoiding some clown standing in the middle of my favorite bar and screaming at the top of his lungs.

Yes, I could expend the effort. But why?

Nobody was screaming in a bar, the equivalent here being spamming. I hardly noticed the guy. The screaming came from you and the rest of the wolf pack.

How does ignoring somebody become expending effort? You must mean it is too much effort to resist joining-in on the party?

Marvell wrote: Instead, I can just poke the screaming clown until he implodes and is carted off to the nut bin.

Which is, more or less, exactly what happened. And I'm good with that.

You were equally deserving of a cart to the nut bin. There are no good and bad guys in a flame war. If the goal is to keep a civil forum, then a wise, tolerant moderator discourages everyone from getting into extended pissing matches.

But that's the hard way, and requires some gonads on the part of the moderator. The weasle way is to signal that the infidel is fair game and let the mob create a greater disturbance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Oh, for christ's sake...

Thanks for keeping AV's martyr complex alive. What do you feed it? The salt of your bitter tears?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm on a hunger strike until AV is reinstated.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:You were equally deserving of a cart to the nut bin. There are no good and bad guys in a flame war.

Bullshit, on both counts.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:12 pm

ahhh, your mother wears army boots.

IF some people are allowed to engage in fights, and others are not, it sets up intolerance for minorities and odd balls. Moderators should be even-handed.

I honestly don't know how bad AV was, don't know if he needed to be banned. But for-sure I don't like how he was handled. I don't like to see a Dictatorship of the Thin-skinned.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Huckleby wrote:I don't like to see a Dictatorship of the Thin-skinned.

I couldn't agree more. And AV was the thinnest-skinned poster of all time; merely pointing out his vast deficiencies of logic sent him into a pearl-clutching spasm of calls for everyone to be banned.

So I gave him a hard shove and he flipped the fuck out. Shit happens.

If you're so concerned about my thin-skinnedness, I suggest you check out my previous exchanges with Fat.The.Gangster, TAsunder, Ned Flanders, The Tolerator, harrissimo, and a seemingly endless parade of forons who thought that sheer invective would cow me into silence.

Not a chance, chumps. I'm like the burr oak of online blather - impervious to flame.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm not so sure. How about a little fire, scarecrow?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com