MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fabric Stores

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Fabric Stores

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Does the Annual Manual have a favorite fabric store? I've had fun shopping around and comparing them recently. Wonder what all the other crafty sewing people think.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu May 31, 2007 6:45 am

Depends on what you want, really. Gayfeather can't be beat for beautiful, original fabrics that you won't find in other places, but I was actually pleasantly surprised when I went looking for stuff at Hancock last time. I came up with two lovely Japanese fabrics (both in style and country of origin) that coordinated beautifully because they came from the same collection. If you're looking for quilt fabrics, too, there are any number of options. I'm more of a knitter, but I love looking at all the colors and styles available at Stitcher's Crossing.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby costuminatrix » Thu May 31, 2007 9:55 am

Gayfeathers has fantastic fabric, but definitely pricey. It's certainly worth it if you are a serious designer/constructionist, but if you just want to try your hand at something new, it's a little much to spend. Can't beat their more exotic silks and velvets though, ooh la la. I have some hand-embroidered Chinese brocade from there that I'm almost afraid to cut, it's so pretty.

As far as chain stores go I prefer Hancock's, and I've always had good luck at the one on Odana - but that's way across town for me. Mostly I shop at JoAnn's out of convenience and necessity, but if I need anything particular it's better to just order online. For example I have noticed that none of the Madison fabric stores have very good heavier stretch knits or print velvets/velour, but then again it's hard to find those even online these days.
costuminatrix

Postby blunt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:28 am

Gayfeather?
Hancock?
(grade school giggle)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com