MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Your Mount Rushmore of Wisconsin Breweries

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Your Mount Rushmore of Wisconsin Breweries

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks, wallrock, I'll have to amble into the Malt House one of these days and give 'em a try.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Shit! Potosi.

Revision:

New Glarus. Furthermore. Potosi. Ale Asylum.

Lake Louie, Central Waters, O'So, and Rush River are the veeps. A bitter pill for RR to swallow, knowing it's got the skills to be president.

Red Eye is the candidate in another district I wish I could vote for--because I've only sampled a couple of their beers. (And wallrock's got it right re: distribution. They show up sporadically on taps in town, but not regularly.)

Marvell: I've had too many really shitty Sprecher beers to give them that much credit for Black Bavarian. Don't drink a lot of Lakefront; maybe that's the Milwaukeephobia.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Marvell: I've had too many really shitty Sprecher beers to give them that much credit for Black Bavarian.

You mean individual pours, or entire varieties?

Their amber remains my go-to beer when it's on tap.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:32 pm

1. Furthermoore - some of the best seasonals around (Makeweight particularly!) and they recently made Fatty Bombolatty a year-round offering, which is very exciting.

2. Ale Asylum - pretty much what everyone else says. Easily the best IPA-makers in the state and lots of other good offerings too. (I even came around to Mercy this year.)

3. New Glarus - between the very reliable regular beers and the almost-always amazing "Unplugged" beers, they should really be on everyone's list. The only local brewer that really nails "regular" beer as well as beer snob beer.

4. <Vacant> - I don't really think any other local brewers measure up to these three. Capital is OK but never amazing, same with Lake Louis and Potosi as far as I'm concerned. Same with Lakefront as well; everyone I know from Milwaukee claims their amazing and they're certainly better than any other MKE-brew I've had, but they still pale to our tremendous more-local offerings. I have had a couple different types of Rush River that I really liked and need to get more familiar there - right now, they could take spot-4!

Bonus Points to the guy that mentioned Point Brewery - not exactly an amazing brewer, but I've found the Point Pale Ale to be possibly the perfect band practice beer, provided you can get it in cans.

Extra Credit - anyone enjoy "Simple Times", brewed in, uh, Monroe, and sold exclusively at Trader Joe's? Learned about it in California of all places and then came back and got more familiar - it's like 6% ABV and a six-pack in cans comes to about 4-dollars. It's essentially a really sweet pilsner and is something to be experienced.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:35 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Marvell: I've had too many really shitty Sprecher beers to give them that much credit for Black Bavarian.

You mean individual pours, or entire varieties?

Their amber remains my go-to beer when it's on tap.

Gotta back up Bookie here - my experience with Sprecher has always been negative for beers. They're either big goofy cartoon flavors that are way too one note or just kind of flavorless.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:RB, you know there are only four presidents on Mount Rushmore, right?

Ha! Once I started thinking about beer, that slipped right out of my mind.

The face of Jacob Leinenkugel will someday be the fifth carved into Mount Rushmore.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm

rrnate wrote:Bonus Points to the guy that mentioned Point Brewery - not exactly an amazing brewer, but I've found the Point Pale Ale to be possibly the perfect band practice beer, provided you can get it in cans

I'll take the points, but not the "guy" designation.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Too tough to limit to 4, as I am drawn to specific brews from many WI breweries. Regarding Point, although I like a few blue bullets (for which I still get requests from an uncle in Ohio) on a hot Summer day, I am recently drawn to a few of their "Whole Hog" specialties, namely the Barley Wine Style Ale and Imperial Russian Stout. I like the big beers.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Right Bower wrote:The face of Jacob Leinenkugel will someday be the fifth carved into Mount Rushmore.

Speaking of, I always liked the old Ask Jake radio spots. My favorite:

Q Dear Jake, Why do so many people have trouble pronouncing your name?

A It's hard to say...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Ducatista wrote:
rrnate wrote:Bonus Points to the guy that mentioned Point Brewery - not exactly an amazing brewer, but I've found the Point Pale Ale to be possibly the perfect band practice beer, provided you can get it in cans

I'll take the points, but not the "guy" designation.

Heh - sorry, meant that as a non-gendered pronoun.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Then I'll take it!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:56 am

I swapped out Sprecher for Capital in my third tier on the strength of BB coupled with how much I've enjoyed several of their limited release beers over the past year. Their Kriek Lambic was really good and I was also a fan of the bourbon barrel Scotch Ale. I'm less a fan of their seasonals though the Winter Brew dunkel bock is pretty tasty.

Lakefront's Riverwest amber is my go-to beer at Miller Park. I just had one last night actually, and my buddy had their pumpkin lager (the special at the Old Fashioned). I love their Pure Genius 88 series too. I guess I'm getting over my Milwaukaphobia.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Ducatista wrote:New Glarus. Can't abide the Cow, but love Madtown Nutbrown and occasionally indulge in a Belgian Red.

Hey Duca, Madtown Nutbrown is an Ale Asylum beer. I think the closest thing NG has to it would be Fat Squirrel.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 pm

huh..when I opened this, I wasn't expecting folks to just be naming off their favorite micros. I was thinking of historical significance, like ->

Blatz
Schlitz
Old Style
Pabst

You guys are handing out rock carved heads the way they hand out nobel peace prizes....

I mean c'mon..at least pick the good micros.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 am

Ducatista wrote:New Glarus. Can't abide the Cow, but [...] occasionally indulge in a Belgian Red. Again, props for their slogan, even if it's not uniquely theirs: Drink indigenous.

I've never admitted this in public before, but ... I also like the occasional NG Belgian Red.

Of course, it's one thing to say that pseudonymously on the DPF, but I don't think I'm quite ready to come out of the closet in front of my family. There are some Very Serious beer drinkers who would never let me live it down (Fruit beer, Kurt?!)

Some of the reviews of NG Belgian Red on Beer Advocate are a hoot. Here's someone who gave it an A- overall:

Appearance: This is the most red beer I've ever seen, ever - it's a rich, dark red - off-white, kind of pink head, keeps a bubbly cap - minimal lacing, especially as it warms

Smell: Borderline disturbing, but also good - so, so much cherry - like a bowl of cherries floating in cherry juice topped with cherry jam and flavored cough syrup - more or less no hint of malt, just cherries - a touch of sour, too - kind of scary, unpleasant until I actually tasted the beer

Taste: Absolutely ridiculous - so much cherry - kind of reminds me of a cherry Popsicle - tons of cherry, but the overall taste is better than just the cherry flavor - tastes like carbonated cherry juice, maybe a carbonated cherry pie, utterly no hint of alcohol - it's kind of a stretch to call this beer - a little tart - sweet, but not excessively so for half a 750mL

Mouthfeel: Medium body, crisp carbonation, juicy, sticky cherry juice

Overall: Is this beer?

This is the fruitiest fruit beer that I've ever encountered. The smell is a little intimidating, but the flavor is excellent. Bonus points for the style. I would love to share this with a group of people that think they don't like beer. I'll be making efforts to acquire more!
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails