Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Finally some bipartisan cooperation

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Finally some bipartisan cooperation

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Bipartisan Group Of Lawmakers Urges Beer Veto

A bipartisan group of seven state lawmakers is calling on Republican Gov. Scott Walker to veto portions of the state budget that could make it more difficult for microbreweries to expand and possibly limit distribution of beer in the future.

The letter sent Tuesday was signed by five Republicans and two Democrats. It calls on Walker to veto portions of the budget the lawmakers say will hurt the state's more than 60 microbreweries.

They said the budget provisions will punish small brewers. The changes were supported by MillerCoors, the Wisconsin Beer Distributors Association, Tavern League of Wisconsin, and others.

Is anyone surprised that the Fitzgerald leadership in the Wisconsin Legislature would pass such a measure that benefits the big corporations at the expense of small businesses? Will Walker have the cojones to employ the line item veto or will he kowtow to his corporate masters?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Finally some bipartisan cooperation

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Will Walker have the cojones to employ the line item veto or will he kowtow to his corporate masters?

This question was rhetorical, right?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Will Walker have the cojones to employ the line item veto or will he kowtow to his corporate masters?

This question was rhetorical, right?

It depends on how big is the microbrew drinking voting block. His recall election is only a little more than a half year away.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm

So he can veto it and look like the hero that saved the good beer of Wisconsin?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I bet he refuses to veto.

1) the man is the most stubborn person I've ever seen in public office. His version of personal honor is never listen to anyone else, never change your mind, never back down.

2) he's got no political acumen at all

3) it's against his personal political leanings, which are pro-donor and pro-giant-corporation

I hope I am wrong, for the sake of the small brewers. On the other hand, let Walker finish digging his own grave. He's doing fine so far.

Incidentally, I think when he gets done with his line-vetoes, the state is in for a whole new "bomb." And his promise not to mess with the school voucher rule will turn out to have been a joke. It'll be far worse than the legislature wrote it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:Incidentally, I think when he gets done with his line-vetoes, the state is in for a whole new "bomb."

Agreed. I have no doubt that carefully-crafted language has been used in some instances that will facilitate his veto intentions (I'm thinking specifically about school vouchers in Green Bay. But I'm sure there are others.)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Walker continues to take heat on this matter.

The pressure is on.

Although state craft brewers suffered a setback last week when the Legislature passed the state budget without extracting Motion 414, the overhaul of Wisconsin’s beer distribution and licensing laws highlighted in my last column, they have managed to raise quite a racket over their cause.

Fanned by some brewers’ dire statements that the provisions hastily tucked into the massive budget would stifle the robust industry, beer loyalists have mobilized.

Outside the Capitol, the political energy is being directed mostly at MillerCoors, which has been cast as the villain in this drama. The brewing giant is a key supporter of the legislation, which it says is necessary to update antiquated laws and inhibit what it says are unfair practices by chief rival Anheuser-Busch.

“In solidarity” with fellow craft brewers, Madison’s Great Dane and Vintage have dropped MillerCoors beer from their brewpubs and restaurants.

Why would a brewpub serve Miller or Coors beers in the first place?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Why would a brewpub serve Miller or Coors beers in the first place?

Because a substantial number of people walk into the place for the first time not knowing what a brewpub is about, and expect their standard swill to be available. I've seen this scenario a LOT at the Great Dane:

"Hi, I'd like a Miller Lite."
"We serve all our own beer here. Would you like to try a sample of the Landmark Lite?"

Sometimes the answer is "Sure," sometimes it's "You don't carry Miller??" "Yes, we do, if you really want it."

If the patron tries the house lite, it seems to be about 50/50 as to whether they'll go with it or Miller.

So really, it's just a matter of not wanting to lose customers. I'm sure they've had a number of people over the years storm off in a huff before they decided to carry Miller.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:

Oh c'mon Sno, then how did he get to be Governor? Underestimating this guy is very, very dangerous. When it's time to campaign, he'll have all the money in the world, and he'll run against the greedy government bureaucrats and their Madison hippie supporters.

I expect it to be close enough to need to find some votes....somewhere like Waukesha County perhaps.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm

As to why a brewpub, or anyone, would sell Miller, in addition to the reasons already given, someone in the business told me that the profit margin on selling Miller and its ilk is extremely high.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:04 pm

gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:

Oh c'mon Sno, then how did he get to be Governor? Underestimating this guy is very, very dangerous. When it's time to campaign, he'll have all the money in the world, and he'll run against the greedy government bureaucrats and their Madison hippie supporters.

I expect it to be close enough to need to find some votes....somewhere like Waukesha County perhaps.

He obviously had enough of something to get elected, but in an election where we picked Ron Johnson over Russ Feingold, how hard was it? And do you really think his Budget Repair Bill and the other legislation he's pushed show he's got his fingers on the pulse of Wisconsin voters?

Underestimating the amount of money behind him is dangerous, but I honestly think right now his supporters are digging him out of a hole, not sailing along smoothly on account of his great political skills. There's a difference between blunt force and political artistry. His poll numbers are way down. Eventually he's got to face the voters again, unless he finds a way to call off the election and declare himself dictator.

Maybe we've got a difference of words here but a similar overall assessment of the guy. At least we can all agree his taste in beer stinks. It's good to know the brew pubs quit selling Miller/Coors in support of the small brewers.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I'd feel better about getting rid of him if we hadn't also, just recently, re-elected Prosser. That's been working out real well for us too. No question Walker has been ham-handed in his approach to running the state, we agree on that. I'm just afraid we'll let him get away with it. The Prosser victory should cure anyone of overconfidence. Evil seems to be on a roll lately.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 pm

snoqueen wrote:
gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:

He obviously had enough of something to get elected, but in an election where we picked Ron Johnson over Russ Feingold, how hard was it? And do you really think his Budget Repair Bill and the other legislation he's pushed show he's got his fingers on the pulse of Wisconsin voters?

Underestimating the amount of money behind him is dangerous, but I honestly think right now his supporters are digging him out of a hole, not sailing along smoothly on account of his great political skills. There's a difference between blunt force and political artistry. His poll numbers are way down. Eventually he's got to face the voters again, unless he finds a way to call off the election and declare himself dictator.

Maybe we've got a difference of words here but a similar overall assessment of the guy. At least we can all agree his taste in beer stinks. It's good to know the brew pubs quit selling Miller/Coors in support of the small brewers.

Scott Walker would love to declare himself dictator and I would love to exile him to St. Helena. Long live New Glarus Fat Squirrel Ale!!! Scooter could use a good, cold, tall glass of Wisconsin local-made beer. Might be an epiphany but probably not as affective as a slap upside his foolish head.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:I bet he refuses to veto.

1) the man is the most stubborn person I've ever seen in public office. His version of personal honor is never listen to anyone else, never change your mind, never back down.

3) it's against his personal political leanings, which are pro-donor and pro-giant-corporation

Good call.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails