MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest: 27 breweries, 26 cheese makers

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Isthmus Beer & Cheese Fest: 27 breweries, 26 cheese make

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 am

O.J. wrote:Kudos for blending the beer and cheese booths together this year, instead of being in separate locales.

I might have been drunk enough to get this wrong from last year, but I'm pretty sure the booths were similarly positioned last year; they were just spread out over two rooms instead of one big one.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
O.J. wrote:Kudos for blending the beer and cheese booths together this year, instead of being in separate locales.

I might have been drunk enough to get this wrong from last year, but I'm pretty sure the booths were similarly positioned last year; they were just spread out over two rooms instead of one big one.

Come to think of it, you may be correct(apparently, I was drunk enough last year to get this wrong).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:31 pm

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:21 pm

We got there shortly after it opened on Saturday.

The lines to get in were a complete clusterfuck. They made anyone with a print at home ticket go into one line, but that line was not well-formed and no one was there to oversee how the line snaked around. Just one guy scanning the tickets. Additionally, people were walking around with bracelets slowing things up rather than standing at the place where people scanned tickets. By the time we went in, they seem to have figured out some way to improve the situation, but it was pretty crazy at first. Not sure what they did but kudos for figuring it out.

Once inside, it was difficult to navigate several areas, although I'm not sure that the beer/cheese was actually more liked at those areas. Not sure what time people went when there was no line and the ability to easily walk up directly and immediately get a pour... that happened maybe once or twice to us. Didn't mind it too much, though, as it gave us time to talk to others and admire the various pretzel necklaces. Generally, lines formed along the walls and then people seemed to congregate in the center and congest everything. The place had less flow than most events I've been to in that room.

With a few exceptions (Northwoods I think? tasted like foamy seltzer water) the beer was great. I was disappointed that several high quality cheese makers from around here didn't show. At least Uplands and Carr Valley were there. Love talking to the folks at Uplands. Too bad they didn't have Rush Creek samples.

The tickets were a gift. We enjoyed ourselves a lot, and hope that the festival has continued growth and success. That said, I am not sure it would be worth the price of admission. For half of the price of 2 tickets, a night at a local gastropub or comfort food restaurant would have had as-good-or-better cheese/food and still enjoyable beer - though perhaps not as many beers from northern Wisconsin.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails