MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Mason Lounge

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Mason Lounge

Postby Bwis53 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:57 pm

It looks like the place is open. Has anyone been there? Reviews?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mason Lounge

Postby awestra » Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:It looks like the place is open. Has anyone been there? Reviews?

It's very much open. Good beer selection, decent prices. Better atmosphere then the previous establishments. It's worth checking out.
awestra
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 am

Does anyone know what do they have in the way of food?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby awestra » Mon May 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Does anyone know what do they have in the way of food?

No real food, the took the grill out. They have a deal with Falbo's and have a Cheese and Apple plate, and a Sausage and Cheese plate.
awestra
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 10, 2010 6:34 pm

I guess than means their business plan doesn't include the nearby Meriter/clinic lunch crowd. I give them a year or so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I guess than means their business plan doesn't include the nearby Meriter/clinic lunch crowd. I give them a year or so.

I hope you're wrong. I just got there for the first time last week. The owner was tending bar and is very knowledgeable about all the beers. And, there are a lot of them on tap, with a different selection than other bars west of the Capitol. I didn't count the number of taps (wasn't thinking about a review) but it is easily in double digits.....I want to say a dozen but that might be a little low.
I had a Stone Black IPA, a Flying Dog double IPA, and a Bell's Java Stout, to give you an idea of what's on offer. I really liked the vibe and decor of the place. When we first arrived it wasn't too busy (about 7-ish), but it crowded up rather quickly after that. Fortunately and probably not coincidentally, another bartender arrived so the libations continued to flow at a steady clip. Since I live on the west side, I'm happy to have this option rather than having to head out to the East Side any time I want a great beer selection. It is worth a try for anyone who is into craft beer.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 pm

The Mason is pretty cool. I've stopped a few times over the last couple months on the way back from the Kohl Center for a post-game drink and I'm a big fan of the place. The beer selection is top-notch and the atmosphere is just right, laid back but not insular. I've seen a good number of people playing cribbage or euchre and it makes perfect sense, as this is a perfect hang-out bar. They do serve most beers in Mason jars which is kind of a silly gimmick but I don't really mind it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Mason Lounge is a great place to hang out. Never know who you'll meet or what you end up coming home with. My father got to talking to a guy and ended up buying a used car (which still said "Johnson County Sheriff" on the side of it) that same night. Him and my uncle got the engine tore up all over the garage, while waiting for the coat of primer they just put on to dry. They are supposed to go to Knoxville next week and they hope to have the Dodge running again by then.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:42 pm

I can smell the whiskey burnin'
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 pm

wallrock wrote:They do serve most beers in Mason jars which is kind of a silly gimmick but I don't really mind it.

Either a silly gimmick or a consequence of having the jars included in the sale (Azzalino's served in Mason jars). Kinda surprised that they removed the grill. The food was one of Azzalino's high points.
Too bad Jerry's kid ran that business down. I think, without him, Azzalino's would have been very successful.

Henry- If I may ask, what didn't you like about Azzalino's? Food? Decor? Service? Employees?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 pm

jman111 wrote:
wallrock wrote:Henry- If I may ask, what didn't you like about Azzalino's? Food? Decor? Service? Employees?

I stopped by soon after it became Azzalino's, as I live just a few blocks away. Had lunch. It was OK. Went back a month or so later and tried to eat lunch there again. I ordered wings. They were way undercooked, practically raw. I had one, paid my tab and left the rest behind. I never went back.

The Big Ten Pub is about the same distance from the Vilas homestead. I'd rather go there for good bar food, as well as their selection of tap beers.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

That's too bad. I think they really came around, food-wise. The ingredients were generally very good or, in some cases, exceptional. I'll agree, though, that preparation was extremely inconsistent, especially in the early days.

If The Mason succeeds, I think Azzalino's deserves some credit for moving this location well beyond Rich Bennett's legacy. Again, without the kid, I think Jerry would still be in business.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 pm

jman111 wrote:
wallrock wrote:They do serve most beers in Mason jars which is kind of a silly gimmick but I don't really mind it.

Either a silly gimmick or a consequence of having the jars included in the sale (Azzalino's served in Mason jars).

I hate goofy glasses. That goes for Paradise's mason jars and bars that serve beer in goblets. Stop fucking around and give me a standard (or english bubble) pint glass.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:... bars that serve beer in goblets.

Such as expensive Belgiums (I'm looking at you, Brasserie V). They are used when the establishment doesn't want you to know how little beer you are getting for a very steep price.

The pint glass is the great equalizer.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:... bars that serve beer in goblets.

They are used when the establishment doesn't want you to know how little beer you are getting for a very steep price.

They are also used for dispensing an appropriate portion in the appropriate vessel. Who really wants their 10% ABV Belgian trippel or similar strong ale served in a pint glass? Not me, that's for sure.

Henry Vilas wrote:The pint glass is the great equalizer.

Don't be so sure. Check some of the "pint" glasses at your favorite watering holes and see if you're getting 16 oz. My guess is its closer to 14.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails