MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Your Favorite Album

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Your Favorite Album

Postby Peacetrain » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:11 am

Roger Waters - Amused to Death, Pro's and Con's of hitchhiking, The Wall - Live in Berlin(im usually not big on guest artists but this is an exception.)

Grateful Dead - All down hill from here(live at Alpine Valley)

Dave Mathews- Live at Luther College(with Tim Reynolds)
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:39 am

George Faith: To Be A Lover
Lee Perry: Time Boom X De Devil Dead
George Clinton: Computer Games

Yes, I am very, very old (though I don't think any of the above are older than Exile on Main Street).

Reign in Blood was recently named as one of the best extreme metal albums in the book _Precious Metal : Decibel magazine presents the oral histories of 25 extreme metal essentials_, and I agree that it's great. But it's also very short, a quality that is much more noticeable to me now than when it came out, probably sbecause I've become accustomed to CD-length albums.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:53 am

The drumming alone on Reign in Blood...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Still trying to get through these. meowzamusic had a way better thread idea.

I am jumping around a bit. I could not find Charley Pride, In Person, but I did find 24 Greatest Hits. What an interesting fella. What does it mean that he had a #1 country hit and a #21 Adult Contemporary hit? This is hard-core 70's country. 70's country seems to scream redneck, at least conservative white-america. Did they not know he was black?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby feh23 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:04 pm

TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth Bloodthirsty Babes
Ween - Quebec and/or The Pod
Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - The Swimming Hour
Clinic - Visitations
Negativland - Helter Stupid and/or Thigmotactic
Sleater Kinney - The Woods

No country, no metal.
Last edited by feh23 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feh23

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Hey, thanks for heeding my Charley Pride recommendation. His hits are wonderful, and In Person is breathtaking. Here's what I wrote about it some years back in an Amazon.com customer review of all things:
Charley Pride, African-American honkytonker, occupies an uneasy spot in the pantheon of country-music legends. On this classic live album he acknowledges as much in a discomfitingly funny bit of patter: "I get a lot of questions asked me, says 'Charley, how'd you get into country music, and why you don't sound like you're supposed to sound?'" The audience reacts to this bit of honesty with palpable nervousness, but Pride clearly is drawing on his fans' adoration to help him craft what is, simply put, a flawless release by one of country's best artists. His stage presence is warm and relaxed, his singing poised and restrained. He does not fail to wring every bit of emotion out of tearjerkers and hell-raisers alike, however, and he chooses great songs, whether his own hits or country standards. The small band accompanying him suits his powerful delivery better than his studio albums' lush arrangements, and the incomparable Lloyd Green is by turns witty and mournful on the steel guitar; Green very nearly steals the show, in fact.

I saw him perform at the Grand Ole Opry in 1996, and he was electrifying.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Kenny Wayne Shepherd- Ledbetter Heights
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
Tom T. Hall- Greatest Hits, Vol 2
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

boston_jeff wrote:The drumming alone on Reign in Blood...

Word. Actually, the drumming alone on any Slayer album with Dave Lombardo on the skins. The three or four albums that he was absent from are not good Slayer albums. But "Christ Illusion" and the brand-spankin' new, "World Painted Blood" are terrific. It's no coincidence that Lombardo is back for the attack on them both.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Igor wrote:I seem to recall Beavis and Butthead watching one of [Tom Waits'] videos. I think their comment was something along the lines of "this guy sings good, but he's sure a lousy songwriter".

I don't doubt that Mike Judge would have thrown that in -- but that has long been a comment attributed (whether accurately or not, I don't know) to Woody Guthrie, speaking of Bob Dylan.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Last ten years: the s/t first album by The Atomic Bitchwax.

All time: probably Rush's Moving Pictures, but that's just by a hair over about 30 other albums.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:04 pm

wack wack wrote:All time: probably Rush's Moving Pictures, but that's just by a hair over about 30 other albums.

Agreed. It's the first album I ever owned (on virgin vinyl, no less), and has the best combination of kick-ass songwriting, great performances by skilled musicians, awesome instrument/amp sounds, and warm/dynamic recording of anything I've heard before or since.

(Although Permanent Waves is a very close second.)
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 pm

I'll add my votes for both the Tom Waits and the John Hiatt, and add the Talking Heads album, Remain In Light.

That's definitely one that I wore out on cassette, several times.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Peacetrain wrote: Grateful Dead - All down hill from here(live at Alpine Valley )

Wow. Favorite album!? I went to mucho Dead concerts at Alpine in the 1980's, they were wonderful events (until the crowd turned drunken and unruly in the 90's.) I don't think the DVDs or albums recreate the experience that well, they are just OK.

Marvin Gaye, What's Going On
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:55 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Peacetrain wrote: Grateful Dead - All down hill from here(live at Alpine Valley )

Wow. Favorite album!? I went to mucho Dead concerts at Alpine in the 1980's, they were wonderful events (until the crowd turned drunken and unruly in the 90's.) I don't think the DVDs or albums recreate the experience that well, they are just OK.

Having never seen the dead with Jerry is a big reason why Im such a big fan of their live shows on DVD/CD versus their studio albums. Although i do usually prefer live albums over studio with most bands. I agree its tough to get into a live album of a show that I went to.

My other draw to All down hill from here(live at Alpine Valley) as a fav is its what my daughter and I danced and sang to at bedtime most nights of her 1st year.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Gang of 4 - Solid Gold.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General Music