MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby keelio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:56 am

I read about a Mott the Hoople reunion coming up and it was mentioned that Ian Hunter recently passed his 70th...yikes. I wonder if he and the band envisioned themselves on stage, 37 years after recording 'All the Young Dudes"...and I'd be curious whether the audience is full of septuagenarians. I think there's a point where, just maybe, age becomes relevant. Or performing your old hits at an advanced age threatens the relevance of both the song and the performer.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:06 pm
Location: Cottage Grove

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Does Neil Young still sing Old Man?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19158
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby donges » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm

At least half The Who followed through.
donges
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 1:03 pm
Location: between the lines...

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby rrnate » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 pm

I'd just like to mention that Mott The Hoople are awesome. I felt this thread was lacking that sentiment.

That being said, Ian Hunter has kind of always sounded old, so unless he has become really decrepit, I'm going to guess they'll still sound pretty good.

Let's draw up two lists - one of rockers that can still rock at their advanced age, and one of rockers who can't.

* Rockers who are still pretty dang good
- Neil Young
- Chrissy Hynde
- Tom Waits (not sure if he counts as a rocker but he's as good as ever)

Rockers who need to retire, as they're getting too old/crotchety
- Rolling Stones
- Eric Clapton
- Kyle Motor
- David Bowie
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:28 pm

rrnate wrote:* Rockers who are still pretty dang good
- Neil Young
- Chrissy Hynde
- Tom Waits (not sure if he counts as a rocker but he's as good as ever)

You missed Cheap Trick here.
rrnate wrote:Rockers who need to retire, as they're getting too old/crotchety
- Rolling Stones
- Eric Clapton
- Kyle Motor
- David Bowie

This is all wrong because I haven't even hit my prime yet. Also Clapton and Bowie have always mostly sucked.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Location: Rock'n'roll crazy nights

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby keelio » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:38 pm

rrnate - didn't mean to denigrate Mott the Hoople in any way. "All the Young Dudes" was kind of a cultural touchstone to me. Every Friday was 'bring your own music' day in 4th grade music class and this song was a weekly staple...got all the boys singing - the chorus, that is. Though the song's a classic, it is rooted in that glam rock era - the early 70's. And guys in their 70's singing those songs are sort of the antithesis to that whole raison d'etre.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:06 pm
Location: Cottage Grove

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby rrnate » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:01 pm

keelio wrote:rrnate - didn't mean to denigrate Mott the Hoople in any way. "All the Young Dudes" was kind of a cultural touchstone to me. Every Friday was 'bring your own music' day in 4th grade music class and this song was a weekly staple...got all the boys singing - the chorus, that is. Though the song's a classic, it is rooted in that glam rock era - the early 70's. And guys in their 70's singing those songs are sort of the antithesis to that whole raison d'etre.


Yeah, I didn't think you were knocking the Mott - I just went through some heavy Mott fever a couple months ago.

It's funny, because they're sort of a weird fit for the glam thing to me - I know that particular song is a big glam anthem, but it was written by Bowie for them and a lot of their own stuff sounds a lot less glam to me.

That being said, I'm a little confused - is glam a look or a sound? I've also been getting in to certain T.Rex albums lately, but that stuff is also weirder than what I think of glam sounding like, though they're a huge glam touchstone.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:10 pm

rrnate wrote:That being said, I'm a little confused - is glam a look or a sound? I've also been getting in to certain T.Rex albums lately, but that stuff is also weirder than what I think of glam sounding like, though they're a huge glam touchstone.

Eh, it's sort of both. There's a wide array though. The "sound" was mainly really catchy rock songs played with a certain amount of cockiness. Besides the big stars, there were countless one-off and studio bands churning out glam singles full of big stompin' guitar songs.

Bowie looked much more glam than most of his songs sounded. T. Rex had much more glam in his music than Bowie (not to mention it was better). Sweet looked AND sounded glam, all the time. Slade looked and sounded glam, but without the fey quality that Marc Bolan & Bowie had. And that's just the Brit-glam.

Wait, what was the question again?
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Location: Rock'n'roll crazy nights

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby rrnate » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
rrnate wrote:That being said, I'm a little confused - is glam a look or a sound? I've also been getting in to certain T.Rex albums lately, but that stuff is also weirder than what I think of glam sounding like, though they're a huge glam touchstone.

Eh, it's sort of both. There's a wide array though. The "sound" was mainly really catchy rock songs played with a certain amount of cockiness. Besides the big stars, there were countless one-off and studio bands churning out glam singles full of big stompin' guitar songs.

Bowie looked much more glam than most of his songs sounded. T. Rex had much more glam in his music than Bowie (not to mention it was better). Sweet looked AND sounded glam, all the time. Slade looked and sounded glam, but without the fey quality that Marc Bolan & Bowie had. And that's just the Brit-glam.

Wait, what was the question again?


Yeah, well I guess part of it is that Bowie and Bolan were both sort of folkies before "going glam", right? I don't know as much about Sweet or Slade but I think they were probably always rockers and not folkies.

That being said, David Bowie really does need to retire, or at least just make awesome cameos like he did in A) Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me or B) Zoolander.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:39 pm

rrnate wrote:Yeah, well I guess part of it is that Bowie and Bolan were both sort of folkies before "going glam", right? I don't know as much about Sweet or Slade but I think they were probably always rockers and not folkies.


Bolan was a rocker, a hired gun guitarist/songwriter, then a folkie, then glam, always with his own weird bent on thigns. Bowie was more overtly a trend-chaser. He copied Bolan on glam (poorly, and a year later).
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Location: Rock'n'roll crazy nights

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby spacetiki » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Kyle ima gonna cock punch you if you disparage the bowie any further!

Granted, most everything between Diamond Dogs and let's Dance blows horribly. I'll give ya that. But Heathen is an awesome album. And everything pre-"Dogs" too. And he still rocks live.

I won't speak ill of the dead (much), so i give props to Bolan. For what it's worth. :D
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:47 am

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Odd this thread would come up as I'm listening to a bunch of obscure UK glam singles.

Bowie is almost as overrated as Dylan. I have to defer to reviewer Mark Prindle, who summed up Bowie better than I ever could:

David Bowie is a genius for retards.


Dude was always a hack with a capital H.A.C.K.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Location: Rock'n'roll crazy nights

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby Walter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Minister of Music and Cultural Enlightenment of Waltervania hits it out of the park, again.

Kyle Motor wrote:Odd this thread would come up as I'm listening to a bunch of obscure UK glam singles.

Bowie is almost as overrated as Dylan. I have to defer to reviewer Mark Prindle, who summed up Bowie better than I ever could:

David Bowie is a genius for retards.


Dude was always a hack with a capital H.A.C.K.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 am
Location: Motorzburg

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 pm

This thread has prompted me to put on Outside, which I'm now thoroughly enjoying for its stunning conception, songwriting, performance, and production. Oh, and the artwork is pretty damn spiffy, too.

I believe I will be progressing to several other Bowie albums before the night is done, perhaps Earthling followed by Reality. Difficult choices when there are 25 studio albums spanning 37 years and numerous styles, although I think he just got better with age.

Maybe instead I'll just put on his Reality tour DVD for an overview of some hits and more obscure tracks, some rearranged, but all performed flawlessly by Bowie's band of stellar musicians.

So many choices. Might have to spill over into tomorrow.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2753
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: All the young dudes...not quite young anymore

Postby spacetiki » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 am

David Bowie is a genius for retards.


Well, I guess that explains my perspective...
spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:47 am

Next

Return to General Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar