MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Garbage is back

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Garbage is back

Postby Maggie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 pm

This was a great show. My compliments to The Mallards for putting this show on. I hope they do more shows like this at the Duck Pond.
Maggie

Re: Garbage is back - What would Phil Gnarly say?

Postby DRAGONBOYGNARLY64 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 pm

First things first:

DRAGONBOYGNARLY64...?

DRAGON = Like my heroes Bruce Lee, John Lennon and Ringo Star, BORN IN THE YEAR OF THE DRAGON

BOY = Determined primarily by things like which type of genitalia I have or don't have (HINT: THIS HERE AIN'T NO VAGINA MONOLOGUE) and facial hair and icky stuff like that.

GNARLY = Very stupid stage name I gave myself in a moment of, you guessed it, STUPIDITY. Even worse was the name I gave my band, THE TOUGH GUYS. No apologies or excuses. It's too late for that now.

Yes, this is Phil Gnarly, and no, this is not Steve (Cunningham) Gnarly, and no, YOU MAY NOT DO YOUR RAP NOW. I may. And my rap is:
flanneljammies is correct that famous Madisonians Butch Vig, Steve "Magic" Marker, and Doug "Duke" Ericson and that girl and their band were NEVER a part of the Madison Music scene. They were a studio band that released an album, had some success, did another album, got a song on a JAMES BOND soundtrack, then disappeared. Now they've reappeared. So what?

And although I understand the focus on Smart Studios in the current exhibition at the WSHS, I am one who says that such an exhibit is not a very good idea because too many have been left out, it's inaccurate to focus an exhibit on Smart Studios and Garbage as representative of the Madison Music Scene, and other clubs were also left out (as flanneljammies noted). Venues like The Wagon Wheel, The Nar Bar, that dinky place across from the Majestic where Ivory Library frequently appeared, the name I am currently spacing out.

No disrespect or lack of appreciation, either. to the Tar Babies/Killdozer/Mecht Mensch folks, all of whom I have only fond memories of, but doggone it, that's like Swamp Thing and my band and The Weeds (only) representing the entire scene if we were the featured performers at the live performance and so on. Didn't go to that because I was...unable to attend for unspecified reasons. To do justice to an entire decade or two (80s or 80s/90s) of Madison Music, the High Noon, Frequency, and other Venues would need to dedicate a week or two to reunions jam sessions and such.

No exhibit can or will capture or take the place of all those gorgeous memories, including (and here I differ with flanneljammies just a little) G.S.Vig's, which was kinda like playing in someone's basement, only they had national acts booked there. Still, it was the birthplace of Phil Gnarly and the Tough Guys, probably some other bands, too. We and other bands and eventually Tom Layton made O'Cayz into the Rock Palace it became, same with Club D, Nar Bar, Headliner's, The Pub, and so forth and so on and such with and then some.

Phil Gnarly 2012
DRAGONBOYGNARLY64

Postby DRAGONBOYGNARLY64 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 am

And as I mentioned clubs that had been forgotten, even I forgot Bunky's. I remember Bunky's, though. That was where I had the awful experience of meeting the members of Trip Shakespeare. Yuck. Bunky's was cool, though. Opened for gurlz punk band The Pandoras there. Saw Mojo Nixon up close and personal there, too. Nice club. Too bad it's gone. Too bad they're all gone. Too bad Mayor Soglin turned this town into a shopping mall. IMHO :twisted:
DRAGONBOYGNARLY64

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:54 am

I saw Spooner open for Pat Benatar at Bunky's, back when Duke Erikson went by Doug.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:23 pm

From what I could tell...There were no amplifiers on stage. No pedals were engaged by the band themselves (had lots of different tones coming out of nowhere), and well I definitely heard some goofy drum sounds/fills that Butch wasn't actually playing...in addition to keyboard runs and samples that no one was playing on stage. It was obviously a Click-Track performance to the max. Not really my bag baby.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I will say I had a great time at this show though. I just think a band should actually perform all pieces of the puzzle on stage when they're playing "live".
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am

They're a fucking big deal. They have people pushing their fx pedals from backstage. :/
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Madison Music