MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Why is the UW throwing in with chump bands like Rascal Flats

Postby wallrock » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 am

Didn't Kenny Chesney or Keith Urban play the Kohl Center a few years back? I remember a coworker of mine went and I ran into her on State Street before the show. That kind of music isn't exactly my to my taste, but to each their own.

I remember back when I was in college either Tom Petty or John Mellencamp was playing a weekday night show and student tickets were something like $10 for students. I just couldn't convince anyone I knew at the time to go with me.

The Dylan shows at the Kohl Center were some of my all-time favorites, but aside from a few Spring Concerts I don't think I've seen any other shows there.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 am

wallrock wrote:. . . That kind of music isn't exactly my to my taste, but to each their own . . .

Amen! By far the most intelligent thing posted in this thread.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:21 pm

depinmad wrote:
jjoyce wrote: "book the Flatts at the Resch Center in Green Bay, but keep 'em outta the Kohl Center, which is where the hockey team needs to be practicing"

btw, the team is in minnesota that weekend...

Not according to my tickets: Gopher Rejects tonight and Saturday at the KC.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:Damn, girlfriend! Somebody is a HUGE R.F. fan!

You're right. I am pretty surprised by this reaction. I thought that far more people would be in the "book the Flatts at the Resch Center in Green Bay, but keep 'em outta the Kohl Center, which is where the hockey team needs to be practicing" camp with me.

And clearly I misjudged the vitriol that would be coming my direction by making a goofy point about a goofy band. Fellas like lil bunny have shown me that, perhaps due to the economy, senses of humor are in short supply.

I hope everyone has a great time at the show. See you at Wando's afterwards.

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't being vitriolic when I pointed out that Rascal Flatts is one of the most popular touring draws anywhere in the U.S. right now (and certainly in Wisconsin).

As former country DJ, I felt it my duty to point out how massively popular they are, all quality issues aside. That being said, I do hate humor so very much.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm

nevermore wrote:Not according to my tickets: Gopher Rejects tonight and Saturday at the KC.

This weekend is UMD, but the concert is 2/7 and that weekend is at Mariucci.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:54 pm

nevermore wrote:
depinmad wrote:
jjoyce wrote: "book the Flatts at the Resch Center in Green Bay, but keep 'em outta the Kohl Center, which is where the hockey team needs to be practicing"

btw, the team is in minnesota that weekend...

Not according to my tickets: Gopher Rejects tonight and Saturday at the KC.

yo dimwit mcgee, the RF show is Feb 7th.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 pm

wallrock wrote:
nevermore wrote:Not according to my tickets: Gopher Rejects tonight and Saturday at the KC.

This weekend is UMD, but the concert is 2/7 and that weekend is at Mariucci.

:oops:
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Anyone go, or, more to the point, did Jessica Simpson do anything funny?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:10 pm

My lady dragged me there against my will. The stage set-up lights etc was all Big time tour. The show didn't live up to it. There was a lot of BS about when the new album drops and corny stories about this and that. For the 2 Hours they were on stage I would say they played no more than 15 songs. The main singer of RF is really good but the music is boring boring boring even by Nashville standards. The other two guys that make up RF (besides whoever they hire to play the rest of the instrumental parts) were lame as hell. Lots of pre-recorded back up singing.

Jessica. Jessica Jessica Jessica. She just blew. Her lone female back up singer blew her away. Not that she introduced any of the fine musicians who were getting paid well to back her no talent ass up. She was horrible. If she were on American Idol she wouldn't make it to Hollywood. She also didn't look very good. Not fat like people had been talking about. She wasn't too thin but I wouldn't have a problem with her weight. It was her face. She looked tired, beat up.

Anyways it sucked big time but I'm sure people who like that sort of thing (like my special lady friend) enjoyed the crap out of it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music