MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Concourse jazz jam dead

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Concourse jazz jam dead

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:39 am

A few years ago, I worked in a small store, in Fitchburg. I'd usually be alone on the late afternoon shift. I always had WORT's jazz show on. Frequently, my customers would exclaim: Is that ever nice!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 am

Bunny Chow wrote:Anyone who knows shit knows the CJJ died because Cal did. He woulda kept the thing going smoking ban or not.

So, your initial statement about the smoking ban killing the CJJ is false.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:26 pm

rrnate wrote:* Is Jazz profitable? Well, no - it's even less profitable than rock, especially when we're talking about time/money invested in "learning the trade".

I'm going to have like disagree with you here nate. You can make good money playing jazz much more than you will with a rock/punk band. I have the Schedule C forms to prove it. I'm on the board of The Madison Jazz Society and so I am privy to how much we jazz bands get to play jazz society concerts. I will tell you that it is in the thousands of dollars not hundreds.
rrnate wrote:...wouldn't you turn in to an internet crank like harrissimo?)

I'll just ignore that comment because I have been told that you are really a good guy who just appears to be a douchebag on web forums.

rrnate wrote:Perhaps a better question is, why is polka still fairly profitable?

I love polka.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:07 am

Bunny Chow wrote:
Ducatista wrote:What smoking ban?

The one that kills jazz jams.

Nothing about a smoking ban in the letter:
In preparation of [sic] our upcoming renovation of The Bar, we surveyed many of our guests to gauge what is important to them. After reviewing the surveys, it became clear that the jazz program scored low on the overall bar experience.

Therefore, we will be changing the atmosphere of The Bar and will no longer be providing live jazz starting in 2009.
Letter to jazz musicians

That's too bad that they're doing this. Jazz probably has a small audience. And it seems unfair to end the jazz jam based on a survey. I wonder if they included all types of music on the survey.
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:51 am

The Concourse's letter to the Jazz bands is bullshit. Everyone knows the CJJ was for locals, not for the hotel guests. Did they bother to survey the locals to ask if they wanted the CJJ to stay?

Fuck no.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 am

harrissimo wrote:I love polka.

The only kind of music white people should be allowed to dance to.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:The Concourse's letter to the Jazz bands is bullshit. Everyone knows the CJJ was for locals, not for the hotel guests. Did they bother to survey the locals to ask if they wanted the CJJ to stay?

Good question. You'd think they'd consider the people who come to hear the music, but aren't guests.

Here is a form for sending a message to the Concourse management. I sent a message asking them to reconsider and I would urge other people to do this as well.
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:07 pm

rrnate wrote:Perhaps a better question is, why is polka still fairly profitable?

Ok, I'll try to answer. Maybe because Polka makes big boobed blond women bounce. Who wouldn't find that profitable?

I'd pay to see that.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:26 pm

harrissimo wrote:I love polka.

Do you ever play polkas? :D
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Once in a while. It's fun to play polka. It can be difficult music to perform actually.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:47 pm

harrissimo wrote:Once in a while. It's fun to play polka. It can be difficult music to perform actually.

I suppose. It's more rigid than jazz - is that the problem?

I used to play in the UW Javanese Gamelan. Sometime music students would take the class. The ones who were classical musicians had trouble learning, but the jazz musicians picked it up really fast. I guess because it's not at all like western music - either in their style or the tunings. It has 2 scales, one is pentatonic and the other is heptatonic.
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

The Concourse jam is dead but not this thread or the New Breed. :)

On the Hype exchange Dave Stoler posted that they have a gig lined up at Samba's. The post leaves more questions than answers. I copied it onto my site and asked Dave if he cares to comment.

http://madisonjazz.wordpress.com/
rek

Previous

Return to Madison Music