MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cliquies

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Pick Your Clique

Dude, what's a clique?
15%
Willy St Hooligans
15%
West Side Yuppiefrieds
7%
Downtown Rock Clowns
19%
East Side Toughs
44%

Total votes : 27

Cliquies

Postby SIZZAW » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:07 pm

The Cummies thread made me do this. :twisted:

There undeniably are cliques in the Madison music scene. I hear four of them before a lot of rock band's songs!

Which clique are you in? What does your clique do for you - socially, philosophically, etc, etc?

I guess I think it's a funny topic and might provide some insight into a weird music scene phenomenon. When I first moved here it really didn't take long to figure out who got gigs, who knew who, etc (it is a small city, really) but it never really interested me to try and "infiltrate" those folk's group of friends.

I would say there are definite groups that hang out together. The primary clique every musician is in is their band, right? I see a fairly limited amount of music in town (lately, at least) and would like to know what's going down, so to speak.

The sad truth is that some people just shouldn't hang out together. That makes it nearly improbable for complete unity within a city's music scene. What I am interested in is what people's perceptions of this behavior are and who they think belongs to a certain group.

After living here for a couple of years, most of what I had thought I have found to be untrue.

Madison is one giant clique, really. Probably not any different than any other city with lots of bands in it!
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:20 pm

I don't think we fit into any cliques in this town. We tend to gig swap with out of town bands more often and have better luck that way. When we book with other Madison bands people here just tend to stick around for the band they came to see and then take off before the next band even hits the stage. When we book here in town with a Chicago or Milwaukee band, folks seem to stick around for some reason. We aren't really buddy buddy with any other bands from Madison other than Tin Ceiling but we don't book with them(genre disparity). Not really sure why. Must be my friendly, outgoing personality :wink:
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby princessmidwest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:26 pm

My allegiance goes to East Side Toughs! Although I've been known to cavort with some Downtown Rock Clowns in my day & I can't stay away from Willy St. (God Bless the Wisco + bubbly by the glass at the Weary), but whattabout the Sizzawphiles?
princessmidwest
Forum Addict

Postby bobbyray » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:01 pm

You forgot to include the category for "bald, myopic, over-the-hill, smart-asses with mediocre musical skills who can't handle really loud music anymore (or the bar scene in general for that matter) but who keep starting bands anyway because otherwise they never get out of the house, what with the kids to take care of and the demanding day job and all." Maybe we're just too pathetic to even qualify for "clique" status.
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:48 pm

princessmidwest wrote:My allegiance goes to East Side Toughs! Although I've been known to cavort with some Downtown Rock Clowns in my day & I can't stay away from Willy St. (God Bless the Wisco + bubbly by the glass at the Weary), but whattabout the Sizzawphiles?

you've definately got dual membership....not sure if I'm a "downown rock clown" though.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:49 pm

You know which one I had to choose! :P

We get together during intermission at the Overture Center and discuss our plans for exclusionary zoning.

Seriously, though there may be cliques in Madison, I have never felt excluded anywhere or by anybody.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Back when we were schlockin' as The Opening Band we really hated all the cliquey shit. We loathed most other bands cuz they sucked. It seemed to us like a lot of scensters were putting connections and shallow friendships ahead of integrity. We didn't buy into the lovefest and we rarely got calls for gigs.

I've grown wiser and wider since then. Just from fringing around the scene so long it was inevitable that connections were made and friendships born.

Now it's all about the sex. :wink:
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby princessmidwest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:00 pm

jammybastard wrote:
princessmidwest wrote:My allegiance goes to East Side Toughs! Although I've been known to cavort with some Downtown Rock Clowns in my day & I can't stay away from Willy St. (God Bless the Wisco + bubbly by the glass at the Weary), but whattabout the Sizzawphiles?

you've definately got dual membership....not sure if I'm a "downown rock clown" though.

well, i'll grant you dual membership too, 1/2 wsy, based purely on your sweet pad, 1/2 east cuz you go to shows/play on the eastside.
princessmidwest
Forum Addict

Postby regnad_kcin » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:46 pm

I'd say that we're mostly East Side, though we live/practice in that rather downtown-esque E. Johnson corridor.

Definitely different from the W. Wash / W. Main / Miffland scene, which had (has) more shows at Electric Earth and the Stage Door, in basements...10/20 S. Basset, The Vault, etc. I'm gonna risk total foolishness here and say that those kids seem to have more modern influences. More of the "current" college rock sounds get thrown around. We're a little more old-school.

There's a bit of a clique revolving around the Catacombs and a lot of crossover to Electric Earth. Higher percentage of younger kids -- these venues do all ages shows, so it makes sense.

Back in high school, the old band was part of the New Loft scene. We were based outta Madison, but most of us lived in Oregon. Knew a lot of people in bands out towards Black Earth, Cross Plains, etc. Things were primarily divided by high schools back then. Nothin' like having an impromptu show / party in some kid's barn somewhere way outside Mazomanie...
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:53 pm

I seem to be a musicians musician--my band gets lots of props from my other musician friends but not much in terms of actual patrons at shows, though I guess I get more press than my last band did....hard to imagine being part of a clique, though we get lumped in with Mudride since I've got one of their members in my band now and we shared a practice space with them. I think Carl Johns has his own clique, right? :)

I think of myself as part of the Mickey's Open Mic Clique, where the beer is always cheap and the covers are aplenty. And the Shinky is always loud and barely visible some nights...
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:06 pm

bobbyray wrote:You forgot to include the category for "bald, myopic, over-the-hill, smart-asses with mediocre musical skills who can't handle really loud music anymore (or the bar scene in general for that matter) but who keep starting bands anyway because otherwise they never get out of the house, what with the kids to take care of and the demanding day job and all." Maybe we're just too pathetic to even qualify for "clique" status.

Oops.

We'll try and get you on next year's ballot.
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:06 pm

princessmidwest wrote:Sizzawphiles?

:shock:
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:07 pm

meowzamusic wrote:I seem to be a musicians musician--my band gets lots of props from my other musician friends....

Ditto. Young bands ask me silly questions like..."However did you manage to attain the priveleged status of playing the Corral Room?" We just know people! We've played a ton of Madison shows over the past two years-- gettin' close to 40 now-- and I don't think we've set up more than one or two ourselves. People just ask us to play. I'm cool with that! I haven't stuffed a single promo pack. It's been a blast so far.

And then they're baffled when they book the Corral or whatever and nobody shows up...how does it work? You bring your friends, the other bands do the same, and before long, nobody can breathe!
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:42 pm

meowzamusic wrote:I think of myself as part of the Mickey's Open Mic Clique

I once had a boyfriend complain I was spending too much time with my 'open mic friends', so I consider myself part of this group too.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:49 pm

auntgoodness wrote:I once had a boyfriend complain I was spending too much time with my 'open mic friends', so I consider myself part of this group too.
Well, this boyfriend thinks you're spending too much time with your "Forum friends" and not enough time answering his e-mails! :twisted:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music