MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

i need a band for this saturday at king club

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

i need a band for this saturday at king club

Postby sule » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 pm

hey there,
i need a fourth band to play the king club this saturday, april 7th to play with the following:

the optimistic
www.myspace.com/areyouoptimistic
naive
www.myspace.com/naivemusic
and black fur
www.myspace.com/blackfurmusic

if any of ya'll are interested, please hit me up at babasule@charter.net
or just reply in this thread.
thanks.
sule
Forum Addict

Re: i need a band for this saturday at king club

Postby bobhemauer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:50 am

uuh...what?

No Cats Not Dogs last show?

I'm gonna hafta rerecord the answering machine message...
bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:38 am

bobhemauer wrote:uuh...what?

Uh...what?

Cats Not Dogs are breaking up?!?
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 am

bobhemauer wrote:uuh...what?

Yo Daddy,

Is this 4 band bill thing at the King Club gonna be a common occurrence? I've been trying to give Trisian the benefit of the the doubt so far with our dealings with him of late...but its getting tough, dude.

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:46 pm

supa's unsolicited advice for the king club
*lower prices by $.50 per drink (or get bigger glasses)
*offer more than 2 drink tix per band member
*have 3-band bills, not 4
*put up more sound deadening material
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobhemauer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:36 pm

I really appreciate all the input about what could be done to improve the ol KC. I'm sorry that you've had problems with Tristan, Danno, I'm in contact with Kyle about it, and I'm doing my best to get everything ironed out. I also know that Tristan has a difficult job, even as club bookers go, and he works his ass off doing it. We'll make it right.

As far as four-band bills go, I know they're a pain, but I also know that they're a pretty rare exception and not the rule. And as far as I know, they're not going to be more common in the future, either. They generally happen because a band that we're reasonably sure that will put asses in the club asks for a show last minute. Plus, a lot of times, bands (for whatever reason) stop playing well before bar time. What happens? Everyone leaves. I've seen it happen time and again in the months I've been working there. For a club that's only open 9-2 most nights (and for bartenders who have only a couple of good nights a week at most), that's a serious financial hamstring.

Which brings me to my main point, one that I hope to make without sounding like a complete asshole, so take it in the spirit in which it's intended. The King Club is a small operation in a business that's almost guaranteed to fail. A music club downtown? How many times (even in the past five years) have we seen that been tried and fail? I feel like our prices are pretty much in line with anywhere downtown- $4.50 for a Jack and whatever, $4 Jameson, $3.50 for a pretty stiff rail drink. Specials almost every night, and $2.50 PBRs and Pints of Blatz all the time? Seems reasonable to me. Of course, I'd love it if we were able to lower prices on everything, but then we'd be shuttered in months and everyone'd have to mourn another venue.

In my experience as a musician, the KC's drink ticket policy (again) is pretty much in line with most of the venues I'd played. Not the most generous, but also not insulting. Plus, I know from experience that if you're in a band that does good business for the club, Lisa and Tristan are more than happy to work something out with you.

Sound deadening material? You've clearly read my to-do list. It's gonna happen, and soon.

One of the reasons I took this job instead of moving to Milwaukee is because I genuinely have respect for the way Lisa and Tristan approach their club. They've only been in the business for a couple years, but they're making it work and they care about the place very deeply. They're also dedicated to finding mutually beneficial solutions to any of these little conflicts that inevitably arise in the music/boozeslinging business.
bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Yes, but this summer Madison will become the Austin of the North. Hundreds of bands will be playing downtown on any given night, and thousands will attend those gigs.

Problem solved!
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:56 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Yes, but this summer Madison will become the Austin of the North. Hundreds of bands will be playing downtown on any given night, and thousands will attend those gigs.

Problem solved!

You are a colossal dingus.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:11 pm

scribbled
Last edited by christopher_robin on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:16 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Uh... OK. I'm a dingus.

Just out of curiosity, the news that the King Club would be "shuttered in months" if they lowered drink prices doesn't tell you anything about live music scene downtown? 'Cause it speaks volumes to me.

What does that have to do with your "Austin of the North" crack? I stand by my accusation.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobhemauer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:18 pm

<protecting new job he really likes>

For the record, "months" could mean any number of months. I don't know specific numbers, and I really don't want to be perceived as talking out of class.

</protecting new job he really likes>
Last edited by bobhemauer on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Kyle, have you ever BEEN to Sixth Street?

Bob - understood. I will scribble. I like your bartender skillz and the King Club too.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobhemauer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:25 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
Bob - understood. I will scribble. I like your bartender skillz and the King Club too.

Aww, shucks. Now I'm all blushy.
bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 pm

DaddyP, I totally respect you and many of the points you've made seem quite valid. I still disagree with a couple things but I'll just shut up and smile politely for now. :)
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Well, that is completely lame. I was looking forward
to this show. After hearing about Cats Not Dogs for a long time, I finally, and accidentally, saw them at the Ok Go High Noon deal. Cats Not Dogs as the opener was quite a pleasant surprise and holy toledo did that show completely suck otherwise.
Last edited by Exploding Pinto on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Madison Music