MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Mr. Robert's a decent venue for non-jam music

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Postby sixD5bassman » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:37 pm

if any bands are interested in playing mr roberts on a sunday please contact me at sixD5bassman@yahoo.com
or myspace.com/timconsequence

sundays are booked up until april however, but there are a few slots here and there.

i dont know exactly how the "punk" moniker got tacked on to sundays, because it should really be called "DIY NIGHT"

i try to book punk bands, but most of the punk bands in town cant get their shit together enough to tell me if they can do the gig or not, so i have to go with non-punk bands that can confirm in a timely manner.
it's not about a particular sound anyway.

the important thing is that now there is an eastside bar that folks can go to on a sunday night to hear free non-jam music and drink cheap booze!
sixD5bassman
Forum Addict

Postby droidsattack » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:55 am

STA got a great response the other night. We had a great time playing, and we'll look forward to doing it again there.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thomatc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:33 pm

Vibe Syndicate played there Saturday night. Had a great time, great crowd, probably made some new fans. Looking forward to getting back there.
Thomatc

Postby benfury » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:41 pm

i have playted there twice.

the first time the barstaff rocked and gave us a pizza discount and a bunch of beer. however, the sound guy didnt do shit. except carry 1/2 the equipment up from the basement. he didnt even hook up the monitor like he siad he would.

the 2nd time it was a different sound guy, but the barstaff sucked. the owner was acting like a bitch. parking can suck too.

glass nickel is a much better atwood alternative.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sixD5bassman » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:33 pm

there was a sound guy?
sixD5bassman
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:02 am

sixD5bassman wrote:there was a sound guy?

I was wondering the same thing. Mr. Roberts does not provide sound or sound tech. Bartenders can be hit and miss. The owner has never supported live music. Parking is a funny thing to complain about when there is a lot in back, another across the street and most of the time the Barrymore lot is empty.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby party hat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:22 am

I've never played Mr. Roberts, but I will say that Glass Nickel has been hit-or-miss for my bands in the past, usually based on how much the bartender doesn't want to be there. Usually it's been fine. Seeing shows at the Nickel is always fun.
party hat
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Madison Music