MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

smoking in live music venues - yes or no?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Smoking in live music venues?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 am

Smoking should be (or remain) prohibited
74%
Smoking should be allowed without restriction
4%
Should be left to the discretion of the venue management
22%

Total votes : 23

smoking in live music venues - yes or no?

Postby grant » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:28 am

Just wondering how other musicians feel about smoking bans in live music venues. Here's my take: I'm a non-smoker, and most of my band's fans are non-smokers. In fact, a large majority of potential customers/fans everywhere in the U.S. are non-smokers.

You mostly see smokers in bars, because the non-smokers can't stand the smoke and stay away. When we play in a non-smoking venue, our friends and fans come out; otherwise they don't. I've started turning down gigs in smoking venues (outside of Madison) both for the above reason and because I don't like coming home with red eyes, a scratchy throat, and stinking clothes and gear. The first time I played in a non-smoking club, I couldn't believe how much more pleasant the whole experience was, start to finish. Also, I know a few people in Madison who didn't used to go to bars to hear live music, and now they do.

My prediction: Many or most of the musicians in this forum are probably smokers and will rake me over the coals for having the nerve. That's okay. But I'd appreciate it if someone would explain why it makes business sense to cater exclusively to the minority who smoke rather than the majority who find smoke-filled bars unpleasant.

I'm not trying to insult or provoke anyone -- it's an honest question.
grant

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 am

do a search on "smoking ban" and you'll have all the info you want.

I doubt many people here want to revist the subject, considering how we all shot our loads months ago, and I know I'm still spent.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grant » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 am

Fair enough. I'm new here and hadn't see the earlier thread. Apologies.
grant

Postby Mikey K » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Unfortunately, that seems to be how a lot of Madison's live music venues end up..... smoking.
Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Geeze time flys. It has almost been a year since the ban. (July 1)
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby harrissimo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:42 pm

Why not leave it up to bar owner to decide if there were will be smoking or not? If smoking hurts their business then they might change their mind and not allow it.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grant » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:30 am

Since you asked, what about the employees whose health is potentially affected by working there? Not every bartender or hostess has the opportunity to pick and choose in the job market.
grant

Postby blunt » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:27 pm

grant wrote:Since you asked, what about the employees whose health is potentially affected by working there? Not every bartender or hostess has the opportunity to pick and choose in the job market.

Yes they do.
Nobody takes out a huge student loan for bartender/hostess school and then graduates having to support a family and being forced to pour drinks at Pitcher's.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zazu » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:35 pm

I'm not a smoker and LOVE the smoking ban. I do think they should make an outside area for smokers or maybe a lobby or something for those who must smoke in the winter. As long as I don't have to spend the entire night breathing it in, I don't mind them trying to make smokers more comfy; I also appreciate bars that aren't in Madison with good ventilation so that the smoke can escape.

-z
zazu
Forum Addict

Postby grant » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:40 pm

blunt wrote:Yes they do.

That's a rather sweeping statement.

blunt wrote:Nobody takes out a huge student loan for bartender/hostess school and then graduates having to support a family and being forced to pour drinks at Pitcher's.

So you're saying that everyone who works in a bar does it because they've voluntarily rejected other alternatives offering similar pay and hours? I'd be very surprised if this were true. And what do student loans have to do with anything?
grant

Postby Montressor » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:04 pm

grant wrote:So you're saying that everyone who works in a bar does it because they've voluntarily rejected other alternatives offering similar pay and hours?

Not everyone, but most of them. I've worked in bars, and so have a lot of my friends. Most of us do it because we want to work in bars, not because we can't get anything else. For me, being able to smoke at work was a big plus.
Montressor

Postby AJ Love » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:53 pm

zazu wrote:I'm not a smoker and LOVE the smoking ban. I do think they should make an outside area for smokers or maybe a lobby or something for those who must smoke in the winter. As long as I don't have to spend the entire night breathing it in, I don't mind them trying to make smokers more comfy;

My sentiments exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself...
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:50 pm

grant wrote:Since you asked, what about the employees whose health is potentially affected by working there? Not every bartender or hostess has the opportunity to pick and choose in the job market.

This is just silly. Nobody has to work at bar because that is the only job they can get. There are lots of other jobs they could do.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:50 pm

If smoking is so dangerous why did they allow the cigar exemption? Doesn't make any sense to me.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:32 am

I can't belive a smellier, nastier smoking device, i.e. cigars, is exepmted.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music