MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite spot to play on a bill.

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

3 bands do you want to play first second or third

1st
10%
2nd
62%
3rd
29%

Total votes : 21

Favorite spot to play on a bill.

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:29 am

I can feel a small argument about this brewing. one we've had in our band a few times.. So I ask say there are 3 bands do you want to play first second or third?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:42 am

First. Always.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite spot to play on a bill.

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:06 am

fisticuffs wrote:I can feel a small argument about this brewing. one we've had in our band a few times.. So I ask say there are 3 bands do you want to play first second or third?

I like to play first, second and third. Give me a four-hour headlining set any day, like Dale Watson.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sunspot_mike » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 am

If you're playing out of town, playing second between two locals is nice.
sunspot_mike
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:46 am

2nd kicks ass because you get the first band's crowd before they leave and the last band's crowd before they play. Also, you don't have people missing you because they thought you started later or hoped you would be done earlier.

Plus you can get wasted during the last band without worrying about puking on stage.
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:28 am

1st is fun cuz you get to take your time setting up, then you can play a destructive short set and proceed to get drunk and enjoy the rest of the night. May not have a big audience or people's rapt attention yet.

2nd usually has the best crowd, but you've gotta be quick on the changeover between bands. 2nd often gets time-fucked by some indulgent 1st band that starts late & goes long.

3rd allows you to be as bad as you wanna be. This is often the case as many headliners are drunk by the time they hit the stage. Crowd size can be hit or miss as it's often past midnight when 3rd starts playing.

I'll play in any spot but if I must choose a favorite I'd say it depends on who's on the bill. Historically I've had the most fun opening.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mr. Blues » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:14 pm

I'd rather just play 3 60 minute sets which is what I did for most of my career - at least as far as club dates went.
Mr. Blues

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Well I know where I stand and if it's "our" show I prefer second. Third is usually just too late too drunk and not as much of a crowd easy call I think. although 3 60 min. sets is lots of fun as well and always pays a lot better not that fisticuffs ever get paid shit. but 3 60 min. sets just doesnt happen in Madison we've done it a few times in smaller towns manitowoc two rivers brodhead etc.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:43 pm

fisticuffs wrote:but 3 60 min. sets just doesnt happen in Madison we've done it a few times in smaller towns manitowoc two rivers brodhead etc.

Au contraire; it happens and is, as I say, the format I prefer.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:50 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:but 3 60 min. sets just doesnt happen in Madison we've done it a few times in smaller towns manitowoc two rivers brodhead etc.

Depends on the type of music. Cover bands can get the three 1 hour sets but original bands typically don't.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:04 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:

Depends on the type of music. Cover bands can get the three 1 hour sets but original bands typically don't.

I think solo bills ought to be looked into by bands playing any of kind of music, of whatever authorship. Why? There's more money.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:20 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:

I think solo bills ought to be looked into by bands playing any of kind of music, of whatever authorship. Why? There's more money.

that works great for you songwriters; not so great for us "sidemen"
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:22 pm

in terms of order, i think it's all good. If i set up a show, i do want to pick a spot; maybe you wanna play early because someone has to get up early the next day, maybe you wanna play later when the crowd is drunker. If i haven't put any work into setting up/putting on the show, i'm just happy to be on the bill and do my part.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:27 pm

Hell, I get sick of my own band after an hour. I can't imagine anyone else enjoying it for three.

Same goes for me seeing any band. More than an hour is way too much for me. I must be conditioned by the average CD length or somthing.
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:28 pm

madt0wn wrote:Hell, I get sick of my own band after an hour. I can't imagine anyone else enjoying it for three.

Same goes for me seeing any band. More than an hour is way too much for me. I must be conditioned by the average CD length or somthing.

i agree. maybe i could sit through my favorite band for an hour. ost bands 45 minutes. i wish more bands had the guts to play 30 minute sets.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music