MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Blair Street Brew & BBQ

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Blair Street Brew & BBQ

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:25 pm

barney wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:What a bunch of whiny, crying babies. The Isthmus review had tons of praise and what negativity it had was framed in encouragement. That was NOT a bad review.

True. THIS is a bad review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?_r=0

Ah yes, I've read that one before. A true work of art. TBP, take note!
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Ah yes, I've read that one before. A true work of art. TBP, take note!

It's unlikely that I'll review any restaurant -- in Madison, at least -- wherein the stakes are as high as at Guy Fieri's Times Square location, which is the point that justifies the high polemic Pete Wells hands down. I like this passage, as argument in defense of writing a review that many saw as swatting at low-hanging fruit:

Has anyone ever told you that your high-wattage passion for no-collar American food makes you television’s answer to Calvin Trillin, if Mr. Trillin bleached his hair, drove a Camaro and drank Boozy Creamsicles? When you cruise around the country for your show “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” rasping out slangy odes to the unfancy places where Americans like to get down and greasy, do you really mean it?

Or is it all an act? Is that why the kind of cooking you celebrate on television is treated with so little respect at Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar?

Fieri is a curator -- self-styled or network-styled, it matters not -- of a segment of valued and endangered Americana, and Wells felt that Fieri's own restaurant spat in the face of those diners, drive-ins and dives. I support Wells' review on those terms.

As to the hubbub over on Facebook, I'm glad that Team Blair Street thought better of the post that started this conversation, though I myself never saw a heated or vulgar word in the comment section prior to its removal. Regardless: cussing out a business owner is about as tacky as calling someone names and casting aspersions about that person's professional intentions.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Is it true that DDD charges the restaurants that guy Guy fawns over?
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Someone should also tell that Blair St BBQ guy that his pink car looks more like a bunny than a pig. The ears are too long and close together, or something.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Come on, we all know that TBP is a hipster doofus, but, uh, what was the other thing again?

I suppose I should check it out it at some point, but I just haven't felt a huge desire to. Although somebody did give it a semi-positive mention today. Perhaps in a few weeks when I'm working a few blocks away (which means TBP won't be seeing me when he's around for training).

Also, can I say that I still miss the pulled pork from Bull's?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 pm

BSBnBBQ again on FB wrote:Yo Grambling...SUCK IT UP!!! We understand the atrocity of having bad lockers and mats that you could trip on but forfeiting a game over it!?! Should've taken a tour of the facilities before you signed up for a free education. Stop in today and tell Nicole, "Grambling University is the new Minnesota Vikings" and get free bucky bites. GO BUCKY!!!

Personally, I have no reason to take offense to what this guy is saying, but the tone bugs me. I know nothing about Grambling football except what I've read in the news recently, but is it really true that all Grambling football players are on full-ride scholarships? I'm doubtful. Does this statement bring forth in me the same feelings as when I hear people scapegoat largely fictitious "welfare queens" or people on public assistance? Yes. It's a "shut your mouth, you're lucky to have what you got" attitude, usually spoken from a position of privilege.

Now, if dude were here, he might scrunch up his face and accuse me of being the fuckin' PC police, and perhaps he'd not be totally out of line. But, after months of following dude on FB, I've formed a picture in my mind about what this guy stands for, and that's going to influence how I feel about his business, fair or not. Vikings fans might feel the same way. Basketball playing wine loving hipster doofuses, too. Not all your potential customers will have a thick skin and your particular sense of humor.

(btw, could "atrocity" be considered a big word?)
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:47 am

But, after months of following dude on FB, I've formed a picture in my mind about what this guy stands for, and that's going to influence how I feel about his business, fair or not.

Ditto. I don't know this guy, and I don't want to. There are a lot of restaurants in town, and this guy's FB posts are driving me from trying this one.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby hardmf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 pm

From Facebook....

Blair Street Brew & BBQ

Word is out so let's make it official...we will be closing our doors in a week or two. We've had some unfortunate setbacks with this location. We thank everyone for their patronage and we will be serving a limited menu for the duration of our business. Come get some good bbq while you can:)
hardmf

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:06 pm

And...reopening with a new owner:

The former Blair Street Brew & BBQ is slated to reopen as Chef DJ's Blair Street BBQ & Catering. Daryl Jones, who's been catering barbecue in Madison for six years, is the new chef. His style of barbecue is Memphis-based. Jones was born and raised there, though he's called Madison home for two decades. Sides will include macaroni and cheese, potato salad, baked beans, coleslaw and corn bread, all from scratch.

Jones says he's not sure what happened with the previous incarnation of the business, which closed in late October before the brewing operation ever kicked in. Jones will be using the pink, pig-decorated VW Bug for delivery; it came with the restaurant.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=41635
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Not opening until Monday, per the sign that was on the door at lunchtime today.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bbqking » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm

lukpac wrote:Not opening until Monday, per the sign that was on the door at lunchtime today.

Not open last Monday, or this Monday. Not exactly an encouraging transition.
Bbqking

Postby lukpac » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Bbqking wrote:
lukpac wrote:Not opening until Monday, per the sign that was on the door at lunchtime today.

This seems to be a habitual problem with restaurants opening in that space...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby timby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:51 pm

lukpac wrote:
Bbqking wrote:

This seems to be a habitual problem with restaurants opening in that space...

It is a tough, tough location. I used to work in that area, and the Blair / East Washington intersection is just brutal, especially during any period of high traffic. The light timings are ridiculous and parking is a joke. Additionally, there isn't a whole ton of nearby business from which to draw clientele -- there's the Greater Madison Chamber and the Greater Madison CVB next door, and you might get some carryover from folks from MG&E (although a lot of them might just do Lake View or Burrito Drive), but outside of that, you have to walk more than a few blocks down East Wash to find a core of people looking for lunch ... and people on the Square are probably going to eat on the Square, rather than walk six blocks down to Blair. It's not exactly a win-win situation.
timby

Postby lukpac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:55 pm

There's all of that, but my point was the last few places to open there have done so after considerable delay. I think it was at least a couple months from the time Full Of Bull said they'd be open until they actually opened for business.

As for parking, I was almost always able to get a spot at FOB, but then again, there was almost never anyone in there.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 pm

On Sunday "NOW OPEN" was written on the windows, but I drove by late, so they would have been closed anyway. Their web site also indicates they are open.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews