MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Free House pub in Middleton

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Free House pub in Middleton

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Beaver, you've got to work on this wide vein of xenophobia that runs through so many of your posts. Park Street is scary because of what it used to be years ago. Microwave ovens will kill you, and my proof is this amateur blog. This "pub" place sounds awful and I bet the homeless love it.

Are you a drunk trying to start a pub fight? There is so much wrong with your post I'm not sure where to begin. My post count is 2,235 and you cite just three posts of mine to conclude I have a "wide vein of xenophobia that runs through so many of your posts". 3 out of 2,235 is only .1% which is not a wide vein of phobia or anything. Also, xenophobia is a fear of foreigners or strangers which none of my posts are examples of.

I said I avoid Park St because of the high crime rate for one reason, and then it was pointed out that it no longer has a high crime rate. I admitted I was wrong about the crime rate but as I said I would still rather avoid Park St for other reasons. It seems like a poor, run down part of town with not much to offer. I think the crime rate went down simply because most people started to avoid it because it was so bad years ago and got such a bad reputation. It may be safer now but I don't see much of a renaissance going on.

I didn't say microwaves kill you and my proof is this amateur blog. I asked if people thought the blog was correct about the dangers of microwaves, and as I said, I've read the same warnings from other sources. People cited articles that countered the blog and gave reasons that microwaves are safe and I said I agreed with them and thanked them for the clarification.

I didn't say the pub sounds awful and I bet the homeless love it. I said I usually don't like pubs and was disappointed this menu offered the usual pub fare. My comment about the homeless eating there was just a joke about the Free House name.

TheBookPolice wrote:Experience a little more of the world around you rather than judging it sight-unseen to be dangerous, shabby, and lacking, and I know I, at least, will surely come to find your contributions here less irksome.

Again, you exaggerate and make it sound like I'm a paranoid shut in. I go to Park St several times a year, I use my microwave almost daily, I've been to pubs like Craft and will try Free House when I get to it but am in no hurry. I do give Free House credit for using local food like Knoche's.

Do you own a pub on Park St? You sound so defensive. Reminds me of a cranky Henry Vilas.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Quotes attributed to Beaver-
There is a new pub in downtown Middleton called Free Market or Freetown or something. What is the name? Free Food would be nice. Has anyone tried it?

Found it, Free House pub. Menu looks drab and ordinary. http://www.freehousepub.com/

Yes Free House. Sounds like a good place for homeless to stay. Menu looks like a good place for only the homeless to eat.

I don't drink and try to avoid meat so don't like Pubs in general. Therefore, there isn't much on the Free House menu that makes me want to go there. I prefer full meals (preferably healthy) instead of sandwiches and chips. Don't see anything bad about that.

What so good about Knoche's? is their meat organic? Maybe Free House is a better than average pub like Craft or Nitty Gritty, better than greasy spoons like Club Tavern and Village green. But pubs aren't for me.

I asked because I thought there was a chance I would like. I didn't expect to be called insufferable or a turd for not liking it.

Now Beav, 
If you do not wish to be thought of as "insufferable or a turd",
I suggest you do not make statements on the board (as the above),
They lead people to this perception.

Furthermore, comebacks like the following are not helpful to your case-
Are you a drunk trying to start a pub fight? ...
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 am

I went to the Free House for a birthday dinner last night with my friends and family. We got a larger table in one of the front rooms and the experience was all around excellent. The tap list was as good as always, with a Tyranena special release and a partial Hinterland tap takeover as part of the GTMW festivities. My mother had a brandy old fashioned, and as she is an aficionado of that particular cocktail her proclamation that it was excellent convinces me entirely. My friend had a Pimm's Cup that was said to be "yummy."

As to the food, I ordered the honey ham and sharp cheddar sandwich with greens on the side. It was quite good, though the salad was a touch pedestrian. The ham had been lightly grilled, caramelizing some of the sugar and making for an excellent texture. My sister really enjoyed the black bean and edamame salad. I tried a forkful and it was as good as she said, with a nice citrusy spiciness to cut the heaviness of the beans. The salmon filet and the roasted turkey sandwiches were both met well. It's pub food for certain, but it's pub food well done.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 pm

I tried Free House last Friday pretty much agree with Wallrock. As pubs go they do a good job just like Craft.

It was like I expected. I ordered the grilled cod with sweet potato fries. It was good. The outdoor seating was nice on a Summer evening but it was too noisy from the rather-loud music and loud conversations. I was disappointed they have a smoking patio area which is right next to the sidewalk so any passerby gets second-hand smoke.

I walked around the inside. Most people were in the bar area which was loud (again from music and conversations) but was glad to see dining areas to the side that were less crowded and quieter.

I will probably go back a few more times until I get tired of their menu. I just prefer restaurants with better meals and quieter atmosphere.
Last edited by Beaver on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Mad Howler wrote:Now Beav, 

Still not seeing what's so bad about my comments here. I like to be frank and honest in my opinions, that's all. Again the homeless quip was just a joke and a play on the Free House name. I've seen far worse than my comments on this board.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Beaver wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:Now Beav, 

Still not seeing what's so bad about my comments here. I like to be frank and honest in my opinions, that's all. Again the homeless quip was just a joke and a play on the Free House name.

I accept what you say at face value. It's not my favorite place in the world, but it's a nice stop to eat and have beers outside, if beers are your thing. I haven't noticed the smokers, but then again we go pretty early.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:56 am

Beaver wrote:Still not seeing what's so bad about my comments here. I like to be frank and honest in my opinions, that's all. Again the homeless quip was just a joke and a play on the Free House name. I've seen far worse than my comments on this board.

You are right.
I am right to be annoyed.
Let the dance go on.
Let us fight like holy hell to keep these rights.
Let me suggest we err on the side of caution.
MH

p.s. - their curds are better than Craft's
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews