MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

4 & 20 Bakery/Cafe not so great

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

4 & 20 Bakery/Cafe not so great

Postby opineadlib » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Had breakfast 4 & 20 Bakery/Care this a.m. and walked in with high hopes after reading the Isthmus review of a few weeks ago. Sadly, quite disappointed. The 'large' biscuit is not large at all. Seriously it was 2 inches in diameter. Had the breakfast sandwich which espouses an egg on the 2 in. biscuit with havarti, roasted red pepper, and spinach. All tasty, right? Well, couldn't taste the havarti or red pepper as the quanity on the sandwich was middling as best. The three small leaves of spinach felt cursory. I added bacon to my sandwich which finally gave this breakfast sandwich some flavor. A 2 inch sandwich with a modicum of toppings for $6 with seasonal fruit...really?! I'm fine with small portions but if you're going to go with a tidy sandwich, at least give it flavor. Put the toppings on so they can be found and enjoyed. How about a side salad of greens like people get with their quiche? On the up side, the coffee was tasty. The seating could be imporived - it's a small space with square tables seating 4 people. When the place gets crowded, it's difficult to navigate between the tables. I do hold hope for 4&20 - make your biscuit a bit bigger, give us more toppings on the breakfast sandwich, and making your tables seating for 2 (versus 4) would increase configurability of the dining space. Good luck!
opineadlib

Re: 4 & 20 Bakery/Cafe not so great

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 am

2"? I seriously doubt it. I've been there probably 20 times and the biscuits are always quite large. I would guess that they are twice as wide as a standard biscuit at any other place. When they first opened, they served sandwiches on a standard-size english muffin. Even then it was well over 2".
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 am

opineadlib wrote: walked in with high hopes

Pun intended?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:25 pm

opineadlib

Looks like a competitor set up a user account to trash the 4 & 20. I've been there a number of times, and it's always been quite good.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews