MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Best soup and salad in Madison

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Best soup and salad in Madison

Postby Shorty » Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 am

Here is the list. Slim pickings outside the Downtown/Isthmus area:

Dowtown/Isthmus/State St
Cosi
Cranberry Creek
Himal Chuli
Mad sourdough
Marigold
Sunprint

Near East
Monty's

Far East
Manna Cafe, Cool Beans coffee shop
Old Country Buffet

Near West
True food/LaBrioche

Far West
Cosi
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Tue May 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Huckleby wrote:Don't sniff at the soup and salad at Old Country Buffet. The salad bar has great variety (several kinds of greens, including fresh spinach). And their soup is better than expected from such a high volume joint. They have three kinds of soup every day. The clam chowder on fridays brings on the clams. Soup & salad for weekday lunch is just $5.

Ugh, I can't believe people actually pay to eat there.
granted, you can't mess up Salad... but dang, that place has the worst food.
okiebp

Postby kweetech » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Glass Nickel Atwood has good salads. Big and fresh... with lots of options. Works for me.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 pm

okiebp wrote: Ugh, I can't believe people actually pay to eat there.

OK, now you've gone too far. I have to rise in defense of Old Country Buffet and my people (their rubenesque patrons.)

I'm not going to argue with your taste buds, if cafeteria style, industrial grade food is too gauche for your refined palette, that's understandable. But you can't compare the food at a buffet serving a thousand people a day with a made-to-order restaraunt.

OCB does about as good of a job as is humanly possible with a buffet format. They're obviously run with the efficiency of a navy seal operation. The salad bar is kept fresh and full. Their meats are decent. They have good breakfasts. Some of their hot dish type stuff stinks, but then again they have some winners, like cajun dishes. The key to a good buffet is that they have to have steady customers so the food keeps being put out fresh, and OCB is the king of volume.

A fair comparison is with, say, the Ponderosa, where you can really learn about bad food. (I guess the Ponderosa went out of business?) Or try out any hospital cafeteria. Buffets are operating on a slim profit margin. The Old Country Buffet corporation actually went into bankruptcy a year ago, but have survived a reorganization.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 am

Huckleby wrote:
okiebp wrote: Ugh, I can't believe people actually pay to eat there.

OK, now you've gone too far. I have to rise in defense of Old Country Buffet and my people (their rubenesque patrons.)

I'm not going to argue with your taste buds, if cafeteria style, industrial grade food is too gauche for your refined palette, that's understandable. But you can't compare the food at a buffet serving a thousand people a day with a made-to-order restaraunt.

OCB does about as good of a job as is humanly possible with a buffet format. They're obviously run with the efficiency of a navy seal operation. The salad bar is kept fresh and full. Their meats are decent. They have good breakfasts. Some of their hot dish type stuff stinks, but then again they have some winners, like cajun dishes. The key to a good buffet is that they have to have steady customers so the food keeps being put out fresh, and OCB is the king of volume.

A fair comparison is with, say, the Ponderosa, where you can really learn about bad food. (I guess the Ponderosa went out of business?) Or try out any hospital cafeteria. Buffets are operating on a slim profit margin. The Old Country Buffet corporation actually went into bankruptcy a year ago, but have survived a reorganization.

I can't say that I agree with anything that you just said.
There is no way that I would recommend Old Country Buffet to any of my family or friends. I would feel like I ripped them off by having them go there and pay to eat that stuff.
I understand you have your opinion on the place. I respect that.
It's my opinion that the Old Country Buffet is not the best place to spend your hard earned money for a good meal.
okiebp

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 13, 2011 9:26 am

Huckleby wrote:They're obviously run with the efficiency of a navy seal operation.

Is there a body count at the end?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 13, 2011 10:00 am

I'm still puzzled that when legendary science fiction author Harlan Ellison visited Madison last year for his last-ever convention appearance, his hosts took him to Old Country Buffet, of all places. Apparently he made a little girl cry there, and he didn't have nice things to say about the clam chowder.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I'm still puzzled that when legendary science fiction author Harlan Ellison visited Madison last year for his last-ever convention appearance, his hosts took him to Old Country Buffet, of all places. Apparently he made a little girl cry there, and he didn't have nice things to say about the clam chowder.

I can explain this.

The acronym 'OCB' could mean 'Old Country Buffet' or 'Obsessive Compulsive Behavior.'

So, naturally, they thought of Harlan Ellison. Maybe they were angling for H.E. to become the new O C Bee.

Hence the slogan: "I have no mouth - yet I must eat bananna pudding!!!"
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews