MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Finally going tonight. Will post later.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 pm

I hope you haven't been waiting this long for your food.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:39 am

Hahaha. Went on Saturday, really enjoyed the food. We had Thai spring rolls (loved these), crab wontons (huge lightly fried crab rangoons), spicy chicken wings, and spicy scallops. All very good. For dinner I had the deluxe beef Pho, awesome noodles, great broth, very nice bits of tripe and beef, yum. Tried my wife's Pad Thai and that was good too. Real green tea in a bottle.

They really changed the decor from Bab's a lot and did a very good job, typical Asian restaurant look. Service was excellent (I was with a relative of the owners). Only possible complaint is that the menu is super long and several similar items pop up under the "Thai", "Lao" and "Vietnamese" categories. We went at 6:30 and it was quiet, but it was getting busy when we left. My neighbor has had takeout, so that's happening as well. She really enjoyed it too. No sign of takeout menus yet, so I guess she just walked in and ordered.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobbyOrr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Had one of the lunch specials there the other day...lightly battered chicken with pineapple and veggies....solid, but not awesome, but enough for me to give it a shot with another dish...was asked to pick a spiciness level and picked the hottest, but there wasn't much kick, as is often the case at our local ethnic eateries...next time I'll ask for 5 stars!
BobbyOrr

Postby jordan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 am

Please tell me they have banh mi. Is there *anywhere* in Madison that does?
jordan
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:25 pm

jordan wrote:Please tell me they have banh mi. Is there *anywhere* in Madison that does?

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=21986

And Mermaid Cafe has a decent one.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Fantastic. My only concern is the service - but, the place was 85% full, so I can forgive them that.

I enjoyed a large bowl of Vietnamese wonton soup. Fresh bok choy, cilantro, lime, bean sprouts. The pork & shrimp wontons were spicy and delicious. The broth carried the just right amount of heat and spice.

The appetizer (vegetable spring roll) was sub-par but quickly forgotten.

I'll be back.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Elrond » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:18 am

Anyone know if they have kee mao, and if it's any good?
Elrond

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Elrond wrote:Anyone know if they have kee mao, and if it's any good?

Weary made an absolutely killer pork kee mow as a special once upon a time. My fingers are crossed for a good take on it on a regular menu.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnny_yen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:05 am

Great food. Table of six, every dish & appetizer a winner
johnny_yen

Postby raazorwyre » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 am

Oh, phooey on the pissy posts. Goodness, gracious, just GO or don't! I couldn't wait to go as Vietnamese, Thai, and Lao cuisine makes me a very happy person. It was basically packed. We were seated quickly, everything came competently and in very reasonable time (which I was impressed as it was only the second week or so they were open and I dunno if you've ever tried to get everything right in a brand new restaurant...it's tough!) Sure, four stars wasn't searing, but pleasantly spicy, and I wanted to see what their standard was before doing my usual begging for super searing hot.

The prices are moderate but very reasonable for the quality of the dishes...everything was extra lovely. And, I personally LOVE the huge menu! I know for someone new to the cuisine it might seem a bit much, but I'm sure staff would be happy to recommend popular dishes. I can't wait to work my way through the choices...trying hard not to just order the familiar ones as old habits can be hard to break. I'm not sure if they're still figuring out hours or not (forgot to notice) but they have a listed phone number and a simple call ahead is all you need to do. Enjoy!
raazorwyre

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 am

They have a very nice lighted hours sign in the front door.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Starley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:13 pm

I've been there four times for dinner and once for lunch. Excellent (pretty much perfect) every single time.
Starley

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Call me petty, but I'm posting in my own, older thread. So there.

Happy to say we made it to Ha Long Bay before vamoosing from the neighborhood. I had the roast duck, wifey had the tofu squash curry. We shared the pork egg rolls and the coconut sticky rice with mango.

The curry was really good, but still probably not LLX-good. The roast duck was good, but way too much rice. The egg rolls were very nice. The star of the show was the sticky rice, which was ample for two at $3.50 and exactly what we hoped it'd be. Total bill was under $30; can't complain about that.

Definitely going back for the pork laab, which looked good, and the fried squid, which looked delicious.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Had the aforementioned pad kee mao with pork tonight. Delicious.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews