MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Thai Basil?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Thai Basil?

Postby Ashley » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:11 pm

I saw an ad in the paper for a new restaurant called Thai Basil. has anyone tried this?
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:24 pm

Thai Basil is in the old Thai Orchid space. It's strictly delivery and takeout now, though; the former dining area is walled off (presumably destined for another tenant in that shabby row). I couldn't find an online menu for Thai Basil (only this) so I stopped in after work this week.

The menu looks to be substantially the same as Thai Orchid. I'm grateful for this; I liked Thai Orchid and now that they've been wrapped up into Curry in the Box I'm not as likely to call them. But it does make me wonder what byzantine collection of circumstances led to this curious state of affairs.

Anyway! The food! I only had my go-to dish, tom ka soup with tofu, and it was just like Thai Orchid's. The appetizer menu lists some things-- gui chai and toong thong in particular-- I think might be new, so the menu probably isn't a precise replica. There's a curry with musamun curry sauce, potatoes, apples, and peanuts that looks interesting, too.

Sorry I don't have more experience to relate yet. They're so close that I'll be eating there regularly until some other set of circumstances curses the place.

Writing this made me terribly hungry. I might order something from them right now.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:34 am

I saw that ad as well, and I was wondering if they were going to do the sit-down restaurant. I used to like dining in at the old Thai Orchid back when my friends lived nearby, but I can see why that didn't work out because we were often the only people in there.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Thai Basil?

Postby fennel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 pm

It'd been months since we ordered from Thai Basil, so we thought we'd re-up our stash, so to speak.

Daaaaaamn, every time is better than the last! I'd almost decided that Pad Thai was really a dull and listless dish. (I haven't travelled much recently, I admit.)

No more. Theirs is supremely satisfying. We also had the squid salad (Get it now, before the pleasure-haters outlaw it! Or before they try to license the "copyrighted/trademarked" experience.)

I guess TB is doing well, since we had to wait well over an hour-and-a-half on a Thursday evening for our (free!) delivery. They're usually very fast. It can't only be the recovering economy.

I haven't yet tried the Thai-rific cart, but for the moment, I feel like these guys are the only game in town.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Thai Basil?

Postby Hobo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I've eaten there several times and the food is GREAT!
I live on the East Side but when I'm on the west side I know where to go get some good Thai food.
Hobo

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews