MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby cubanat » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:19 am

I just want to know where Butler plaza is so I can try out this new Chinese place. Anyone?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:40 am

Butler Plaza is on the corner of East Washington Ave. and Butler Street, a few blocks east of the Square on the north side of East Wash.

It's probably best known as the building that houses Capital Fitness.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:20 am

What chinese place? The new place, I think it's called Cafe Porta Alba or Cafe Jessica Alba, something like that, is a pizza place. Possibly mafia owned. I went in to get a takeout menu and there were a bunch of guys standing around and they all stared at me and one guy asked, "how's can I help you's?" OK, they didn't actually add the apostrophe-s, but you get the idea.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:41 am

Unlike TAsunder, I'm a big fan of NY style pizza. Where would you forons recommend in Madison for good (or even just decent) NY style pizza?

Having lived in Chicago for a few years (yes, a former FIB, but not a native FIB), I had far too much Chicago style pizza, so now that's something I can only stomach on rare occaisons.
barreg

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:49 am

ian's.

or if you're way out on the west side, the casa bianca near target.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stampy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:58 am

I prefer Casa Bianca myself - I just use some napkins to wipe some of that extra grease off!
Ian's is OK.
Roman Candle tastes like shit - talk about a hipster pizza dump, it's just sad!
Stampy

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:47 am

Casa bianca does seem closest to me, although certain not as good. Ian's is my favorite by-the-slice place. It's not that I strongly dislike NY style pizza, I just think it's kind of boring and overrated. The one thing that's nice about NY pizza is that the slices are gargantuan, and make even ian's slices look small.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:06 pm

barreg wrote:Unlike TAsunder, I'm a big fan of NY style pizza. Where would you forons recommend in Madison for good (or even just decent) NY style pizza?

Having lived in Chicago for a few years (yes, a former FIB, but not a native FIB), I had far too much Chicago style pizza, so now that's something I can only stomach on rare occaisons.

La Roccas is great (for Madison) NY style pizza, much better IMO than Casa Bianca, but not as tasty as Ians. It is easier to make a decision though at LaRoccas since they don't do the crazy amount of toopings schtick. Deep Dish to me is more like a "pizza" casserole, sure it's tasty but it's too rich often.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:16 pm

Chicago style pizza is an over the top gimmick and not for the faint of heart. Its right out of the "Da Bears" skit-one very well may need to perform CPR on yourself after ingesting over an inch of cheese per slice.

The annoying thing about it is that it takes forever and a day to bake a pizza that thick-45minutes to an hour if I remember correctly.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:20 pm

tasunder, i don't want to question your nyc cred, but i lived there for thirty years and none of your descriptions of the food there ring at all true to me.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:41 pm

You don't think NYC slices tend to be rather large?? Or are you talking about the chewy chicken at chang jiang?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:50 pm

first off, the only thing i ever said mentione about chang jiang was their little takeout containers of homemade hot mustard and duck sauce. that's the only good thing about the joint. the ideal would be to get a pint of pork fried rice at the joint next to the alicia ashman library and then go to chang jiang and steal the sauce containers.
second, yes new york slices are big but they abolutely do not make ian's slices look small. unless you ordered the small pie at ians.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:01 pm

A bit of hyperbole there on the size. I assumed it was obvious, but maybe there are people now picturing a 36" pizza or something. I distinctly remember being full from one slice on a couple occasions, whereas with ian's I need about 1 1/4 slice. But it could be that the amount of cheese is the difference. Though perhaps not, since I often get mac & cheese at ian's. Or it could just be that ian's is so yummy that I need that extra quarter slice to achieve maximum taste bud satiation.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:03 pm

well amen to that. i'm completely full after one slice of ian's heavenly lasagna pizza, but that doesn't stop me from forcing down a second.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Maybe next time I'll get a slice of pepperoni or just cheese to see if it affects how hungry I am. But for only $7 more I could get a whole pizza with cheese. I am not sure I could resist the temptation.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews