As the pace of preparations quickens and anticipation builds for the 2006 edition of Halloween in Madison, online documentation of the event grow too. The holiday has always been well-trodden ground among bloggers and photographers attending the festivities, but this year self-publishing is reaching a fever pitch. Perhaps it's due to the city's plans for fences and admissions, and the fairly broad negative reaction it has elicited. Perhaps it's the growing reputation of the revelry on a national scale, the place to be for Halloween. Or perhaps it's simply the growth of the medium.
Regardless of the reasons, there's a lot more going on this year online, an undeniably appropriate change. There are links to nearly two dozen items published merely this Friday alone, a sampling that doesn't begin to include all of the chatter about Halloween that's out there. Links to this community commentary about Halloween in Madison follow below.
- The "$5 tax on the First Amendment" will take its toll on the city -- Paul Soglin
- "Big Brother" comes to Madison in the form of the new high-tech police command center for Freakfest -- Siobhan Nassalang
- "The kids that are looking to cause trouble are probably going down tonight. Or maybe both nights." -- Carrie Lynch
- "A reason to be afraid this Halloween weekend?" -- Brenda Konkel
- Low ticket sales may mean Halloween will be a "dud" -- "alabamiska Laura"
- Where were plasma screen TVs in the MPD's budget for Halloween? -- Brenda Konkel
- City of Madison is clearing locked bikes off State Street in anticipation of the party -- TDPF
- "Being Waldo for Halloween in Madison" -- Tom Wilson
- The latest set of links to and discussion about blogging Halloween -- Dane101
- Will cops from summer campaigning incident at Memorial Union be out on State Street? -- Ben Masel @ TDPF
- MPD Halloween "policy is as unfortunate as it is unnecessary" -- "Kerr Mudgeon"
- "Madison hosts a Halloween party like no other for students" -- "Traveling Chica"
- How to deal with an out-of-towner coming to crash for Halloween? -- Matt Weil
- A big dose of bagging on Madison as festivities approach -- "Dan from Madison"
- Not sure what to think about Halloween plans and situation -- "Derek"
- Attack of the Show to broadcast from the midst of a Halloween riot? -- TDPF
- Thoughts on local beers, campus architecture, and the Halloween mania -- "jw"
- "Almost Halloween weekend in Madison" -- "Debbie"
- A "last call" for links and comments as Halloween approaches -- Dane101
There's much more to be found in this compendium featuring links to a broad array of blogging during the run-up to this Halloween weekend.