The local, independent spirit is thriving here in Madison. The Isthmus Independent Business Awards were created to honor that spirit -- and really, Madison wouldn't be Madison without it. For the third year, the "Indies" will honor these indispensable organizers and creators, giving props for sustainable practices, bold leadership and innovation.
Who will you nominate?
Help us recognize local independent business leaders and artists who represent the best our region has to offer through their everyday endeavors, community building and philanthropy. Nominations are now open until Sunday, August 26.
Isthmus Independent Business Awards are given in eight categories:
- Market Spark: The nominees are local businesses that have stepped out in front of the crowd modeling innovative practices.
- Fresh Food Friend: The nominees are committed to delivering local, sustainable food through restaurant or retail channels.
- Green Angel: The nominees advocate for environmentally sustainable practices in their local businesses and lifestyles, encouraging others to do the same.
- Hometown Artist: The nominees are visual or performing artists who demonstrate a commitment to the community through their work, representing the best of the independent-minded creative class.
- Dynamic Developer: The nominees create sustainable projects that benefit the community.
- Neighborhood Notable: The nominees demonstrate leadership in making their neighborhood and its businesses successful.
- Bridge Builder: The nominees bring together people with different points of view to effect positive change.
- Dane and Beyond: The nominees use new technology to reach beyond today's way of doing business. They encourage innovation to connect Dane County with the world.
Now is your chance to honor those who boldly go their own way...
Nominees may be independent business proprietors, operators, fine artists and performers, from Madison and Dane County: the people who make our community richer. They embrace risk, shrug off stereotypes and fearlessly leap outside the box.
Someone you know deserves to win an Indie, tell us who!
These are people you know: innovative retailers and restaurants, artists who create community, neighborhood champions, green-forward entrepreneurs, and small-business advocates. They could be your neighbor, a colleague or simply someone you admire.
Awards will be presented in eight categories at the 2012 Isthmus Indies Celebration on Monday, October 8 at the Goodman Center in Madison.See IsthmusIndies.com for previous Indies recipients and the nomination form, and watch there, TheDailyPage.com, and DaneBuyLocal.com for news and updates.